PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Permitted develop for a flat?

Options
I've already done some research that I think confirms you can't build under permitted development in a ground floor flat.

However my neighbour thinks he can.

Which one of us is correct please?
NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For starters, it's probably not his land. He has a leasehold so would, at least, have to get the freeholder's permission.

It'd be helpful if you would explain if you're talking about a new porch, a new door entrance (e.g. directly into his place rather than via a communal entrance), a whole extension, a conservatory, or just turning a 1-bed into a 2-bed.

Flats don't have permitted development rights, as a broad/sweeping statement though. But each building has the potential to be different from the norm. Is yours the norm, or an oddity?

You could start by reading this: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/flats/
  • Hillbilly1
    Hillbilly1 Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, that's the information I have found.

It's turning a 1 bed into a 2 bed. We and another party are the freeholders... They would like to buy into the freehold too.

It's also in a conservation area and I think they will need to remove unique original features to do the build.
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Internal works to flats are permitted development. Internal works are allowed in a conservation area, it's only listed buildings that need permission for internal works.

Development does need freeholder agreement under the terms of the lease, though, and building regulations approval.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Hillbilly1
    Options
    This will be external work as they need to build the space for the second bedroom!
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) Planning Permission. If external extension, then 'permitted development' may apply, though you'd need to check the rules in a conservation area.

Go and talk to a Planner at the council

2) Read the lease! You are a joint freeholder so should have a copy of his lease (as well as your own). What does it say about 'structural alterations' or similar? I'm afraid I can't read it from here!
  • Hillbilly1
    Options
    I'm talking to a planner next week - just looking for any further angles to consider.

And obvs we have read his lease. He can't do a thing without us signing it off!
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • starving_artist
    Options
    Depends on the wording in the lease but the freeholder can not unreasonably withhold consent - section 19 Landlord and Tenant Act 1927.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on the wording in the lease but the freeholder can not unreasonably withhold consent - section 19 Landlord and Tenant Act 1927.
    Sorry - incorrect.

That applies to "assigning, underletting, charging or parting with the possession of demised premises".

Nothing to do with structural alterations or extension building.
  • starving_artist
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Sorry - incorrect.

That applies to "assigning, underletting, charging or parting with the possession of demised premises".

Nothing to do with structural alterations or extension building.

Er, if you read past the first section ie. section 2 it says:

"In all leases whether made before or after the commencement of this Act containing a covenant condition or agreement against the making of improvements without a licence or consent, such covenant condition or agreement shall be deemed, notwithstanding any express provision to the contrary, to be subject to a proviso that such licence or consent is not to be unreasonably withheld"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure