PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build house

Options
Dear All,
My ageing parents are downscaling their house and the idea of a new build detached house with a small garden is looking very positive for them.
Does anybody have any tips or thoughts about buying new builds?
Can you make an offer below the cost price?
I'm assuming a snagging survey is essential?
Many thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having worked in the industry, not all new builds are equal. There are some builders I'd avoid.

Have a close look. only buy from someone with 5 stars in the nhbc survey.
  • wrekin
    wrekin Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks Marlot,
    Dare I say it would you avoid Barrett?
    best wishes
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought a book for £10 from snagging.org and it was cheaper than a snagging survey. It helped me find 43 items!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    New build estates may come with houses that should be free of major structural trouble, but as new communities that are shaking-down, they may be hard to assess in other ways, or come with problems from the social engineering now built-into them.

As an older person, I'd rather move into an established community than one still finding its identity, especially as I'd have less idea of what identity might become.

Problems with bricks & mortar are usually easier to resolve than those of human relationships!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wrekin wrote: »
    Dear All,
    My ageing parents are downscaling their house and the idea of a new build detached house with a small garden is looking very positive for them.
    How 'aging'? And how far ahead are they thinking?

Having watched my mother age over the last 15 years until her recent death, my advice would be to bear in mind that moving is hard work. Not easy once you reach a certain age, or state of health.

So if this is to be the 'last' move, make sure it is future proof:

* easy maintenance
    * easy walk to amenities once driving becomes impossible and/or mobility reduces
    * easy to install a stair lift (or buy a bungalow)
    * minimal steps (in garden, at front door etc)
    * close to friends/family/ GP/hospital

My mother loved her (too) large inconvenient house and stayed too long. By the time she recognised she needed a bungalow, the prospect of moving was a nightmare.
  • wrekin
    wrekin Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses, all much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure