PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When to give deposit

Options
Good evening

We have just sold our house and seen one we want to putt an offer on.

We can afford payments etc but won't have to full deposit needed for 2-3 months. Now I know it can take this long to complete sale and exchange.

I am just wondering when the bank will need the deposit ? Will they need it straight or away or once the sale is about to complete?

Thank you

Neil

Comments

• ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 May 2015 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Have you applied for your mortgage yet?

Our solicitor wants to see proof of our deposit a week or so before we complete.

It will be your solicitor who will take your deposit. Our solicitor has asked to have it a few days before our completion day.
  • Guru86
    Guru86 Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for quick reply.

No just mortgage in principle but I take it bank will want to see proof?
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guru86 wrote: »
    Thanks for quick reply.

No just mortgage in principle but I take it bank will want to see proof?
    o

It was my husband who completed the mortgage application but I dont think he showed the bank proof of deposit (although it would make sense that they did ask!)
  • HouseBuyer77
    HouseBuyer77 Posts: 961 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The EA may want to see proof too. Not having a full deposit in place at the point of offer could ring some alarm bells...
  • Guru86
    Options
    we have the full deposit available now but when we complete fees will come out of it so that's why I am wondering when have to give it? Hench why need a two more months for everything to be in place
  • HouseBuyer77
    HouseBuyer77 Posts: 961 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well the major costs are stamp duty and the solicitor's fee and potentially mortgage product fee. This is all paid for with the monies you transfer to the solicitor. The solicitor will require a deposit of 10% usually to enable contract exchange and then require the rest of the money post-exchange to complete.

Of course before this you need to pay out for the mortgage valuation survey and an application fee, you might want a homebuyer's survey and you might want further reports from other experts (gas/electrical etc). The solicitor will probably require some kind of upfront payment too.

Though if your entire sum of savings just covers the deposit and you still need to save a couple of months to afford the fees be careful! Home ownership can incur many unexpected bills, you really want some savings left over as emergency cash. Have you thought about the costs of furniture/white goods/curtains etc?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Guru86 wrote: »
    Good evening

We have just sold our house and seen one we want to putt an offer on.

We can afford payments etc but won't have to full deposit needed for 2-3 months. Now I know it can take this long to complete sale and exchange.

I am just wondering when the bank will need the deposit ? Will they need it straight or away or once the sale is about to complete?

Thank you

Neil
    It's more likely your solicitor who will require evidence of deposit rather than the lender. Many lenders delegate this to solicitors who have to satisfy themselves anyway.

As far as lenders go, some do, some don't. You would need to establish your lender's policy and speak to your solicitor.

Isn't the equity in your property sufficient, with your buyer's deposit covering exchange of contracts?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Guru86
    Options
    Unfortunately not we bought in peak of bubble so lost money. Thanks for all advice
  • lindsloo
    lindsloo Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    We go and sign the contracts next week and have to take a bankers draft for deposit with us. Every mortgage lender and solicitor is different.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 May 2015 at 11:59AM
    Options
    So is the deposit tied up in a 3 month notice account? Or are you planning on earning the deposit in 3 months? Or is it an inheritance you will receive in 3 months?

Provided you can convince the seller (his estate agent) that you will have it without delays, you should be fine.

The bank won't want it - they are providing you with money, not the other way round!

The sequence is

* satisfy the seller, (and your solicitor if he asks) that you have/will have the money required to buy
    * make a small down payment (£300?) to your solicitor to cover cost of searches etc
    * pay 10% (or less by negotiation) of the purchase price at Exchange of Contracts. This is a 'deposit' to the seller - a different meaning of the word to the cash you are putting up.
    * bank releases the mortgage to your solicitor a day or so before Completion
    * on completion, pay the outstanding 90% to the buyer (mortgage + any additional 'deposit' you are contributing)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure