PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

is my partner entitled to a share of my house?

Options
Hello, I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice (whether based on legal or moral considerations) about how much I should (or would have to) pay my partner if I sell my house.

I bought my house on my own in 2001 for £135k. My partner (we are not married) moved in with me in 2008 and the house is now worth about £230k. The outstanding mortgage is £72k (due to a remortgage to raise more money as I was struggling financially at one point). I also have a £15k loan which I took out recently to pay for a new bathroom and to clear credit card debts that were partly incurred in order to lend my partner money as he was out of work for several months and suffering from ill-health. He owes me a total of about £2,500 in actual cash loans (plus interest, which I haven't calculated) and has made no moves to pay any of it off, though I have his signature to say he received the money.

He has never owned a property or shown any interest in buying a share of mine, and the arrangement is that he pays £450 a month in rent (we calculated this sum based on roughly half of the mortgage and bills). He is now working and is paying rent fairly regularly, though for at least six months he could not afford to pay me anything – this is a bone of contention as he did not negotiate this but had the attitude of 'can't pay, won't pay.'

We would both like to move to a nicer area and I'm considering moving into rented accommodation for a while, so I will have the equity from the house sale. It's possible that we will split up at that point as things have not been going well for a long time.

Things are relatively amicable at the moment but that might change. Either way, although I feel taken advantage of by having to support him financially, I would like to make him a gift to help get him on his feet – and perhaps to assuage my feelings of guilt at potentially making him homeless. So I suppose the question is in two parts: how much would he legally entitled to and how would this be calculated; and how much would be a fair gift to recognise his contribution to the household and give him some stability so he can go and rent his own place. And again, how would this be calculated?

I was thinking of 10% of the equity less agents'/legal/moving fees, less the £2,500 he owes me, which would come to about £10,000. Does this sound fair or would he be entitled to more?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since he's been paying rent which includes half the mortgage, I think he's entitled to half the house.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    bsms1147 wrote: »
    Since he's been paying rent which includes half the mortgage, I think he's entitled to half the house.

That's an interesting theory, by that logic anyone renting is entitled to claim on the house they are renting
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    http://www.terry.co.uk/cohabs02.html

I don't think he has any claim as he hasn't paid directly to the mortgage has he? I presume all payments have been made from your sole bank account in your name?
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    I think you need to be clear to as exactly what he has been contributing to. Mortgage? Just utility bills?

Sounds like a mess to be honest.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have anything in writing that states the £450 a month he pays is actually rent?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2015 at 6:40PM
    Options
    So I suppose the question is in two parts: how much would he legally entitled to and how would this be calculated; and how much would be a fair gift to recognise his contribution to the household and give him some stability so he can go and rent his own place. And again, how would this be calculated?

I was thinking of 10% of the equity less agents'/legal/moving fees, less the £2,500 he owes me, which would come to about £10,000. Does this sound fair or would he be entitled to more?

I hope not - what even the 7 years, he did not live there? Tosh! They are not married, he did not provide a deposit or pay his way for significant periods he was there. Not to mention loans from OP, no involvement in improving/upgrading the property etc etc.

If you feel you can give him something to set off with, by all means, but that's it in a nutshell - a gift. Or give him back the 'rent/mtg contributions (not bills)' he actually did pay minus his debts to you and leave it at that.

He would have paid rent elsewhere so why should you reimburse him for paying his way?..in the hope that he doesn't shaft you for your property gains.
  • jamie11
    jamie11 Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree.

He sounds more like a lodger to me, a verbal agreement is a contract just as much as if it's on paper.

You may struggle to prove that though.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jamie11 wrote: »
    He sounds more like a lodger to me, a verbal agreement is a contract just as much as if it's on paper.

You can't be a lodger and a partner.

In theory, he may have gained a 'beneficial interest' for the time he paid half of the mortgage and therefore entitled to a percentage of the value of the house but he would have to spend money to go to court to claim it and it would probably cost more than he is entitled to.
  • Jhoney_2
    Options
    Someone will come along and say you don't share a bed with a lodger, but you could if you both wanted to couldn't you?

Interestingly, Why doesn't he have to have a document/email etc stating that he agrees to move in only if OP donates him half of the house?

There are people married or not, all around the UK being chased for money to support their (acknowledged) children for maintenance, yet there is an argument put forward on a regular basis that moving into someones home - solely owned) is an automatic 50% share which you must fight to retrieve if you have them pay for the roof over their head and utility costs .
  • Jhoney_2
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    You can't be a lodger and a partner.

In theory, he may have gained a 'beneficial interest' for the time he paid half of the mortgage and therefore entitled to a percentage of the value of the house but he would have to spend money to go to court to claim it and it would probably cost more than he is entitled to.

Thanks, I knew that was on it's way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport