PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Favourite stir fry recipe

Options
I quite often fancy a stir fry, but they never live up to my expectations! I don't like the pre prepared packs of stir fry veg, but have you found a recipe you all love?

Comments

• NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have stir fry at least once a week as its a great way to use up odds and ends.

I basically just use a ton of ginger and garlic, fry my veg, and make a sauce of stock, soy, and cornflour (thickens in the wok)

You can use almost any veg, but I tend to use diced mushrooms, sliced onions onions, something green shredded (cabbage/pak choi/ spinach), carrot sticks, peppers, beansprouts and then half a tin of bamboo shoots/water chestnuts from the local asian shop.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chinese 5 spice is the key....when I'm feeling a lazy moo, I'll buy thinly sliced roast beef and chop that into ribbons along with a shop bought stir fry veg mix, serve with noodles and a splash of sweet chilli sauce.
  • PenguinOfDeath
    PenguinOfDeath Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Options
    I too don't like the packs of stir fry veg as it comes out too watery.

We usually just chuck in random sliced veg (peppers, mushrooms, mange tout, green beans, courgette, spinach/kale being favourites here) with whatever meat we fancy and flavourings... chillis, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, sesame oil are all useful.

Toasted cashews, peanuts or sesame seeds all add to the taste and texture too.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2015 at 10:32PM
    Options
    I just chuck in 'random' stuff usually. but start with the holy trinity of Onion, garlic and ginger. once that is in the stir fry world is your 'lobster'!
    one dish I adore is Chicken with Mushrooms
    start with the cubed chicken and cook until its starting to brown and is cooked through, add the chopped mushrooms and stir fry until they start to colour (the dried mix of Chinese mushrooms works well here or just use whatever you have), then add the holy trinity. stir fry for a minute or two and add some soy sauce (tablespoon or so) and chicken stock to cover it all. if you used dried Asian mushrooms you can add the soaking water for extra flavour. You are supposed to add rice wine or dry sherry here - but I don't usually bother. let simmer for a few minutes then add a dessertspoon of cornflour mixed to a creamy consistency with water, and let simmer a minute. its ready!
    I was taught this recipe by the chef in the Chinese restaurant my then boyfriend worked at - because it was his favourite dish!
    Oh and Chinese Chicken and Onions is done almost exactly the same way! you just cook the chicken first add the garlic and ginger - stir fry a minute and add the onions and soy sauce. stir fry until they start to brown then add enough stock to come halfway up the food. when bubbling, add the cornflour and water mix and simmer for a minute. you don't want as much sauce as you do with Chicken and mushrooms and the onions should be crisp.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May 2015 at 12:51AM
    Options
    Try this ...

VEGETABLE STIR FRY

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

250g of mixed vegetables, such as baby sweet corn, broccoli florets, cabbage leaves, carrots, cauliflower florets, courgettes, green beans, lettuce leaves, mange tout peas, mushrooms, pak choi, peas, spinach and sweet peppers.
    ½ a bunch of spring onions
    1cm (½ inch) piece of fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon of cornflour
    2 teaspoons of water
    ¼ of a teaspoon of ground pepper
    ½ a teaspoon of salt
    1 tablespoon of sesame oil
    2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    3 tablespoons of oil

METHOD

Wash and peel whatever vegetables you are using as required. Cut any carrots into matchstick-sized strips, any green beans into 2cm (1 inch) lengths and anything else into 1cm (½ inch) strips or pieces. Wash the spring onions, cut off the root ends and leaves, peel off and discard any dried up or slimy outer leaves, then chop them into thin slices. Peel the ginger and chop it into tiny pieces.

Put the cornflour into a cup. Add the water a teaspoon at a time. Stir each time until it has dissolved.

Put the pepper, salt, sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar into another cup. Mix thoroughly

Put 2 tablespoons of the oil into a frying pan or wok on a medium heat. Add the vegetables. Fry for 2 minutes. Stir frequently to stop them sticking. Remove them and put them on a plate.

Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, ginger and spring onion. Fry for 1 minute. Stir continuously.

Add the pepper, salt, sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar mixture. Put the vegetables back in. Add the corn flour mixture. Fry for 3 minutes until the sauce thickens, Stir continuously.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Add ½ a tablespoon of rice wine or dry sherry.

TIPS

[FONT=&quot]This cooks very quickly, so get all the ingredients prepared and measured out beforehand, and then put them on plates or in bowls in the order that they go into the pan or wok. [/FONT]
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Honey and sesame is beautiful. Make up a barbeque sauce base then add sesame oil and honey, top with sesame seeds. Nicest i've tasted and i've tried quite a few including kung po and szechuan, five spice and honey.

Google for exact quantities!
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Pre-boiled noodles (2 mins and then run under a cold tap and shaken well) to be left till the end
    Leftover chicken broken up into little pieces
    Add - garlic, chilli, oyster sauce and black pepper
    Add beansprouts then some ground white pepper (friendly lady in Chinese restaurant gave me that tip to make it taste more like "real" chow mein")
    Add noodles, more of any seasoning wanted, fry till smoking hot and serve.
    Favourite recipe ever!
    Looking ahead
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Susan1962 wrote: »
    Pre-boiled noodles (2 mins and then run under a cold tap and shaken well) to be left till the end
    Leftover chicken broken up into little pieces
    Add - garlic, chilli, oyster sauce and black pepper
    Add beansprouts then some ground white pepper (friendly lady in Chinese restaurant gave me that tip to make it taste more like "real" chow mein")
    Add noodles, more of any seasoning wanted, fry till smoking hot and serve.
    Favourite recipe ever!

very similar to my recipe for chicken chow mien - except I start with garlic, ginger and leave the chilli out.

then drizzle with a little (very little - it goes a long way) toasted sesame oil before serving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure