PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

House I'm buying doesn't include the whole garden!? A strip lease??

Options
2»

Comments

• Kwisatz
    Kwisatz Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the additional information, I feel as though the two year comment was something the estate agents just said to try and reduce my worrying and uncertainty over buying the property.

This morning I did a title plan search for my neighbours and they own the entirety of their gardens so there’s little chance that I’ll have anybody trying to claim it off me considering I have my fences around it (I had a panic at 2am last night thinking perhaps they owned the end of my garden but it doesn’t seem the case)

The sellers have been in the house for >25 years so could elect for the additional land. How long would that process take?
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,855 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kwisatz wrote: »
    The sellers have been in the house for >25 years so could elect for the additional land. How long would that process take?

If you mean how long an application to register their claim would take then a conservative estimate would be between 2/3 months.

Much depends on the supporting evidence initially and it is likely we would then visit the site as well.
    As such timescales can be longer but 2 months would be a conservative estimate
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Kwisatz
    Kwisatz Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the update! I just got an email back from my solicitor stating:
    I am in the process of drafting the Statutory Declaration for the other side solicitors regarding the ‘adverse possession’ claim of this land. It needs to be proved that for the last 10 years the land has been used to get possessory title, as the present owners have been in occupation since 1988 they have sufficient ownership of the land. At this point possessory title should be obtained, it is however at the Land Registry’s discretion if they would like to grant freehold title at this stage. Once the title has been registered as possessory, you must wait a further 12 years, after which you can then apply for freehold title absolute if you should wish to do so.

I get what they’re trying to do, with a Statutory Declaration they’ve got proof that the sellers have owned the land for the 12 years required in an effort to get either a possessory title or a freehold absolute. I don’t think they’ll get an absolute title (Noticed one neighbour does own it absolute and the other by the looks of it has it possessory) but I’ll be happy with a possessory title for it.

Do hope it doesn't delay me too much longer :(
  • pickles13
    pickles13 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Thats exactly what we did. We also insisted before exchange that the seller provides our solicitor with funds to process this for us after completion, which she agreed to as a condition of exchange.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure