Ash's Debt Diary

edited 28 May 2015 at 5:41PM in Debt free diaries
The_NovacatThe_Novacat Forumite
6 Posts
edited 28 May 2015 at 5:41PM in Debt free diaries
Morning all,

Long time forum lurker but only just decided to make an account to contribute!

So the last 12 months have been a bit rough financially. It's been a case of extended my overdraft bit by bit every month as I appeared to be spending more than I was earning. I couldn't pull it back as every month there happened to be something extra to pay for.

It came about initially as my and my girlfriend bought a house (which just about wiped us out, although we had a nice 20% deposit) and I changed jobs in the same month. I had to go 8 weeks without a payday due to the way the wages worked at my first job.
Then the following month my car broke down (£500 down the drain) and I received a letter from my first employers saying I owed them £400 for the volume of holidays I had taken in the first few months of the financial year.

Things are looking up now though! My new job pays much better, at least £400 more per month but sometimes more (sales commission). I also have a new car which should keep me going for a while, so there shouldn't be any unexpected repair bills anytime soon.

So I'm now going to start tackling my debts, as I would like to be debt free as soon as possible. I'm going to keep them updated in this thread to keep me motivated. My first priority though (after the 8 week no-pay incident) is to put together an Emergency Fund. I don't have one currently and I need something to fall back on should I need it.

Currently got:
Santander Loan (3.6% APR): £6800
Mortgage: £107,000
Ikano Loan (0% APR): £450
Student Loan: £20,000 roughly

I also currently owe the other half £1800 and between us we owe her parents about £6000. This was all borrowed towards the deposit of our house.

I would also like to save up £1000 to have as an Emergency Fund.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go for motivation :)
03/08/17: Owe £15,839.09 :(
Progress 08/08/17: Owe £15,685.84
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals