We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Registering for Tesco Bank account - UK Tax payer?

Hello

I am filling the form out for a Tesco account, there is a question asking if you are a UK Tax payer, if not they will send a form so tax isn't deducted from the interest.

I guess this is a R85 form which I have filled out for my other accounts with other banks as I am on a low income etc.

So I do pay tax on the little that I earn but I go by the rules so that I have filled out the R85 forms for the other accounts so I don't know what I should choose here.

Comments

  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 5,487 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 May 2015 at 5:19PM
    ajo wrote: »
    Hello

    I am filling the form out for a Tesco account, there is a question asking if you are a UK Tax payer, if not they will send a form so tax isn't deducted from the interest.

    I guess this is a R85 form which I have filled out for my other accounts with other banks as I am on a low income etc.

    So I do pay tax on the little that I earn but I go by the rules so that I have filled out the R85 forms for the other accounts so I don't know what I should choose here.

    What is the total that you expect to receive this year (up to 6 April 2016) in respect of employment and interest.
  • ajo
    ajo Posts: 139 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    What is the total that you expect to receive this year (up to 6 April 2016) in respect of employment and interest.

    Less than £15600
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 5,487 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ajo wrote: »
    Less than £15600

    As the standard personal allowance for this year is £10,600, I wonder why you think you shouldn't pay tax on your Tesco interest. If you are paying tax on earned income, then you shouldn't have current R85 forms registered with your savings providers, should you?
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Less than £15600
    As the standard personal allowance for this year is £10,600, I wonder why you think you shouldn't pay tax on your Tesco interest. If you are paying tax on earned income, then you shouldn't have current R85 forms registered with your savings providers, should you?

    The £15600 comprises £10600 personal allowance and £5000 interest allowed tax free.
    If the OP's earning less than £10600 excluding interest they can earn up to £15600 including interest - the latter being what you asked and to which they replied that it will be less.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
  • ajo
    ajo Posts: 139 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    chris_m wrote: »
    The £15600 comprises £10600 personal allowance and £5000 interest allowed tax free.
    If the OP's earning less than £10600 excluding interest they can earn up to £15600 including interest - the latter being what you asked and to which they replied that it will be less.

    Thanks for this, Maybe General Grant didn't know this... instead of putting me in my place heh

    To clarify then, and I have checked using examples and the calculator, I earn a little over £10600, so I pay tax on the little that is over that amount. I then get interest from my savings. The total income is under £15600, the total interest is under £5000. So as far as I understand I can receive the interest tax free.

    If I am correct then on the Tesco sign up form, should I tick that Im not a tax payer (same as a R85 form) or because I do pay tax on the little over the £10,600, say that I do and then ask for a R85 form?
  • verybigchris
    verybigchris Posts: 630 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    FWIW, I signed up for the same account a month ago, ticked the box to say I was a UK tax payer and amongst the paperwork they sent me was an R85.
  • ajo
    ajo Posts: 139 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    FWIW, I signed up for the same account a month ago, ticked the box to say I was a UK tax payer and amongst the paperwork they sent me was an R85.

    Thanks this is good to know.

    Did you sign up for 2 accounts, I think 2 are allowed. If so what is the process for this?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.