🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

First Direct Switch

Options
Hi all,

I've been reading up on the first direct current account and what is involved in switching to it. My understanding is that I can switch and as long as I pay in £1000 a month I will not get charged the fee £10? I don't need any direct debits? Is this correct?

If so, can anybody recommend any quick to setup bank accounts that I can use to switch from?

Regarding the switching process, do I need to have had the account for a certain amount of time? Does it need to have a certain balance? Are there any requirements? There doesn't seem to be but I just want to be extra sure.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 25 May 2015 at 1:21PM
    Options
    RustyBug wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been reading up on the first direct current account and what is involved in switching to it. My understanding is that I can switch and as long as I pay in £1000 a month I will not get charged the fee £10?
    MSE article: Best Bank Accounts
    MSE wrote:
    What if I can't pay in £1,000 every month? If your salary reduces and you can no longer pay in £1,000 per month you'll be whacked with a £10 monthly fee. However, if you have another account with First Direct - savings or a mortgage - then it's waived, so just open a bog standard savings account, and put the minimum amount in.
    Charges >> Banking fee waivers

BTW, it doesn't have to be a salary.

I don't need any direct debits? Is this correct?
    Yes
    If so, can anybody recommend any quick to setup bank accounts that I can use to switch from?
    A second one with any bank you already have an account with?
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RustyBug wrote: »
    Regarding the switching process, do I need to have had the account for a certain amount of time? Does it need to have a certain balance? Are there any requirements? There doesn't seem to be but I just want to be extra sure.

I'd like to know this too. Having another account with my current bank isn't an option for me
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not?

None of your beeswax. I provide the information that I'm happy for people to comment on :)
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family