Sky Sports

Options
Just a moan about the poor quality picture on Sky Sports SD yesterday. I was watching on a brand new Panasonic HD TV.

I am convinced it is a ploy to get more money from us by upgrading to their hd pack.

Comments

• jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sky sports SD has used same bitrate for ever, some TVs are just awful at upscaling SD content - looks even worse on most 4k TVs I've seen, I'm guessing yours is a sub £600 budget panny?
  • hardtimes
    hardtimes Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    Sky sports SD has used same bitrate for ever, some TVs are just awful at upscaling SD content - looks even worse on most 4k TVs I've seen, I'm guessing yours is a sub £600 budget panny?

Yes. I think Sky should only broadcast sports in HD
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hardtimes wrote: »
    Just a moan about the poor quality picture on Sky Sports SD yesterday. I was watching on a brand new Panasonic HD TV.

I am convinced it is a ploy to get more money from us by upgrading to their hd pack.
    Yes. I think Sky should only broadcast sports in HD

So whats the problem then?
    You want it only in HD,so why are you watching (eg not paying for HD) SD?
    Is this your first HD TV?
  • hardtimes
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    So whats the problem then?
    You want it only in HD,so why are you watching (eg not paying for HD) SD?
    Is this your first HD TV?

I begrudge having to pay extra for Hd and this is not my first had TV
  • custardy
    Options
    I begrudge having to pay extra for Hd and this is not my first had TV

So did you watch Sky sport SD on your last TV?
  • hardtimes
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    So did you watch Sky sport SD on your last TV?

Because I don't pay for Hd
  • custardy
    Options
    Because I don't pay for Hd

Try reading slower.
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    edited 25 May 2015 at 1:04PM
    Options
    I understand the frustration completely. Basically the only things we watch on TV are Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, and partner watches F1 (but no other sport at all). If it wasn't for the F1 we could go to Now TV for £7 a month, or at least drop to the Original bundle on Sky (£21 per month) as the SD is acceptable for the TV shows we watch.

Watching F1 in SD is a joke though. Since upgrading to 40" TVs it's just horrific (it was mildly better on 32" TV).

The cheapest option to be able to watch F1 in HD on Sky is to pay £60.50 per month, because you are forced to pay for the full sports package, and you have to upgrade to the highest cost TV bundle to be able to view anything in HD. You can't just pay a sensible amount for a HD upgrade by itself. With the cost of the sports package already being so high, you'd think it would be included by default just for those channels.
  • hardtimes
    Options
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    I understand the frustration completely. Basically the only things we watch on TV are Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, and partner watches F1 (but no other sport at all). If it wasn't for the F1 we could go to Now TV for £7 a month, or at least drop to the Original bundle on Sky (£21 per month) as the SD is acceptable for the TV shows we watch.

Watching F1 in SD is a joke though. Since upgrading to 40" TVs it's just horrific (it was mildly better on 32" TV).

The cheapest option to be able to watch F1 in HD on Sky is to pay £60.50 per month, because you are forced to pay for the full sports package, and you have to upgrade to the highest cost TV bundle to be able to view anything in HD. You can't just pay a sensible amount for a HD upgrade by itself. With the cost of the sports package already being so high, you'd think it would be included by default just for those channels.

The Hd package for Sports has to be taken on a 12 month contract.
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Options
    The Hd package for Sports has to be taken on a 12 month contract.

It's not even a straight HD upgrade - it's a bundle upgrade to buy a whole pile of other kids and music channels that I'll never watch, just to be able to see the F1 that we've already paid a fortune for in decent quality.

It's 2015. When is 'HD' going to become standard?

We are out of minimum term now which is why we are considering getting rid. We can afford to pay for it, but it's such an extortionate amount of money we have to seriously consider that the money could be put to far better use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure