We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'no claims discount' question

Options
I have been driving since 1983 and have never made a claim.
However, I have always just been a 'named driver' on my husband's (now ex-husband) insurance.

I have just ordered a new car (got a fantastic price, and a fantastic loan deal due to info on this site...thanks Martin :j ) and I have been researching insurance deals.

But with no NCD to my name the premiums are quite expensive.

I know Direct Line offer NCD to people in my position, are there any other companies that also take into account a previously named driver's no claims record

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Trinity.B wrote: »
    I know Direct Line offer NCD to people in my position, are there any other companies that also take into account a previously named driver's no claims record

If only it was as easy as that! :D Direct Line won't give NCD to people in your position, they will only give named drivers NCD if they have been on a policy taken out with them.
    I think you will have to just call a few companies a say you have been a named driver with no claims under your belt and ask if they will give a discount to you as a goodwill gesture. You might have to prove this though.
  • siamese0109
    Options
    Can you go to the company your ex insured with and get a quote from them - telling them you were insured on his policy. If they do credit you with some no claims it might be worth insuring wih them for the first year - even if they are slightly more expensive - as the renewal notice you get from them at the end of that period will show the no claims they've credited you with.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If they do credit you with some no claims it might be worth insuring wih them for the first year - even if they are slightly more expensive - as the renewal notice you get from them at the end of that period will show the no claims they've credited you with.

Not necessarily. When we got a 2nd car the co we insured with matched hubby's full NCB that he holds on car 1. When it came to renewal time we only had 1 yrs NCB, not full.
    You have to ask and clarify that they will credit you with more than 1 yr at renewal.
  • dundeedoll_2
    dundeedoll_2 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    Options
    I was in same position. I posted a thread on this back in March - see copy of it below.

Got the usual problem of having always been on traders policy & then husbands policy as named driver, so had no NCD.
    Now buying a car & want my own policy. Tried confused.com & got Quinn at apprx £280, but wasn't that keen on insuring with them after reading threads on here.
    Then went to autonet insurance online. Had to put in date of obtaining full liscence & wasn't sure of day (knew month & year) as financial advisor has got DL for identification ref. remortgage. The screen wouldn't move on without the day info, so gave up. 5 mins later they phoned me. Went through the process & came up with £288 with Royal Sun Alliance. Got cut off, so went to RSA website & did quote online - £684!
    Autonet phoned me back & went through all again, will recognise named driver record & back to £288 fully comp for Rover 25 1.4il

Although lots of companes offer extra discount through going on-line, sometimes it's best to talk to them direct if you fit outside the box so to speak!
    Nicotine Free since 01.08.2010 :j:j:j

Sealed Pot Challenge member 1097 2011 £1024.78 :T

I feel the two are connected :D
  • mrscruffy
    mrscruffy Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Trinity.B wrote: »
    are there any other companies that also take into account a previously named driver's no claims record

My girlfriend was in the same position a couple of years ago. She has been a named driver on my policy for 3 years. After using the internet search engines to find a half-decent quote we had to phone them individually and ask if they would give a discount. Some did, others didn't. All that did however stated that it was a "goodwill gesture" and the 1 years free NCD would be non-transferable. We also had to send in copies of the expired insurance policies.

Worth a try, but you'll have to be old fashioned and pick up the phone!
  • tab2
    tab2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    When I worked in insurance a few years ago the no claims given under the named driver cover said some thing like 65% representing 1yr so if you went elsewhere you got 1yr which was appox 30% not the level given by us
    Tab
  • Trinity.B
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    If only it was as easy as that! :D Direct Line won't give NCD to people in your position, they will only give named drivers NCD if they have been on a policy taken out with them.
    I think you will have to just call a few companies a say you have been a named driver with no claims under your belt and ask if they will give a discount to you as a goodwill gesture. You might have to prove this though.

My ex has car insurance with Direct Line for his own car (Merc 4x4), but for some reason that he doesn't make clear, he had insurance for my car with Tesco and as me as named driver.

I guess it's like you've all said, I need to pick up the phone

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my sister was in the same position. She phoned Tesco and they agreed to transfer the NCB on her car into her name. She changed the insurance to her name, then bought a new car and transferred the insurance.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm going through the same scenario as the OP. Fortunately, we had two people and two cars on the old policy, so my car's NCD could be transferred to me. The NCD seems to be associated with the car, not the person. Don't be surprised if, as just the named driver, they refuse to discuss the policy with you. As the policy holder, your ex will probably have to authorise the transfer.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport