ALL benefits stopped. Now what?

Options

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    Ok, that's made it clearer. You are two people who have come together to share a house. She was getting benefits before she moved, so if she has living expenses to pay, share of bills etc, she should still be able to claim benefits. Can you appeal? If she is unable to work she needs to chase them up, demand an interview, appeal against their decision. Sorry, I don't know much about the benefits system, just stating what I think is fair.

If your partner has lived independently in the past it will be difficult for her to accept your help. She needs re assuring that you will be there for her, no matter what happens. I'm sure you tell her that, but it takes time. I have lived alone all of my life, and I would find it very difficult to to accept help from someone because I have always had my own income. You need to give her time, the tears will stop when she sees that you are not going to do a runner and will stick by her.
    Ilona
    I read that message to her as that exactly mirrors our situation and that has calmed her down a lot thank you for your help.

She has her own bills which is basically just her mobile phone and a few clothes and just her own things which I don't agree to buy for her such as alcohol and cigarettes which I insist if she wants them she uses her own money. That's just me...I've had an alcoholic partner in past. I'm sure she'll cut that down a lot now. She helps out a little with the food bill.

No we weren't living together before....just going out with each other I had my own place.

I don't have any disability.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm confused. The former sounds like a house-share (two financially and emotionally independent people) and the latter sounds like a relationship (which comes with financial and emotion co-dependency). Which is it, OP?
    It's the latter.

The problem is she has old debts which she can't pay and I don't have sufficient income or cash i the bank to pay them for her. I do have enough income to support our ongoing expenses that's not a problem...I probably went into too much detail in first post.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    It's the latter.

The problem is she has old debts which she can't pay and I don't have sufficient income or cash i the bank to pay them for her. I do have enough income to support our ongoing expenses that's not a problem...I probably went into too much detail in first post.

Why is she not looking at insolvency?
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Benefits are not intended to pay debts, they are to pay living expenses. If she is deemed not to require any living expenses because you (as a couple) have sufficient income and/or capital on which to live, then you won't receive anything more.

I think bankruptcy looms for your partner.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    merlin68 wrote: »
    I suggest she does a debt relief order.

This was my first thought too for this situation, relieves the pressure HappyMJ and it is still facing up to things, rather then hoping it goes away or living in fear for 6 years
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    DWP debt of some unknown figure guessing around £1,500 maybe more

Do you know that was for exactly?

Some debts like crisis/budget/social fund loans cannot be included in BR or a DRO, so could be a factor if she looks in that direction?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This was my first thought too for this situation, relieves the pressure HappyMJ and it is still facing up to things, rather then hoping it goes away or living in fear for 6 years
    I've suggested that to her after looking at google and it looks like the best solution.

Thanks for your help again. A call to step change on Monday looks like the best way to draw a line under this.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Do you know that was for exactly?
    Failing to notify change in circumstances in a timely manner causing an overpayment. No penalty just the overpayments are required to be repaid.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Failing to notify change in circumstances in a timely manner causing an overpayment. No penalty just the overpayments are required to be repaid.

Should be OK to schedule in a BR or DRO then, if it does come to that.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If she CANNOT work, then she will be entitled to PIP, if however as I suspect due to no entitlement to PIP, she WILL not work. Then you are responsible for her upkeep. Harsh, but there it is.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing