Expat banking (minor dilemma)

Options
Not sure if this is the correct forum but seems the closest..

Essentially, I've been offered a contract abroad which is expected to last circa 6-12 months but ive also applied for residency for Canada which should be processed (successfully or not) whilst I'm away.

Not sure what to do as haven't updated my address yet but don't want to left without somekind of UK current account - particularly should my residency app not be successful and I then come back to the UK to live.

It looks like some banks close accounts of those with non-uk addresses.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The best is to keep some backup address in UK registered with all banks.
    This can be a friend's or a relative's address.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SPalin wrote: »
    It looks like some banks close accounts of those with non-uk addresses.

I have never encountered this... simply tell your bank that your correspondence address will be XXX (in Canada) until you tell them otherwise. Not a problem.

The only issue is that you will not be able to OPEN most UK bank accounts without a UK address.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A quick search on here and various expat forums highlighted issues with UK banks closing accounts of people no longer resident in Britain and not sending replacement debit cards.

I guess that using an agreeable relative may work best.
    I have never encountered this... simply tell your bank that your correspondence address will be XXX (in Canada) until you tell them otherwise. Not a problem.

The only issue is that you will not be able to OPEN most UK bank accounts without a UK address.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Well it seems reasonable that banks don't always want to send debit cards overseas.
  • MoneySavingNovice
    Options
    I have never encountered this... simply tell your bank that your correspondence address will be XXX (in Canada) until you tell them otherwise. Not a problem....

[FONT=&quot]I have fallen victim to this, I did find it a big problem. If you are able see if you can get a friend or relative to agree to letting them use your address. If that not a possibility you will have to tell the banks involved, but let them know one at a time they might ask you to close the accounts involved. Good luck[/FONT]
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Where I work you can have a bank account if you dont have a UK address but you cant open a new account, so if you already have a UK bank account and move abroad that is fine, just set up correspondence address to a UK relative and change your main address to your current address whether is UK or elsewhere. All correspondence will go to your UK registered address which is a relative...

hope that helps
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing