We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Private Car Park in Tenby
nutsinmay
Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi
I received a Parking Charge Notice after my vehicle was parked in a disabled bay in a private Car Park in Tenby, Wales. The vehicle displayed a valid Disabled Blue Badge. The signage was ambiguous but between you me and the gatepost, it did say that blue badge holders must also pay [disgusting!]
I received the notice as keeper, from Highfield Parking. Ltd
I wrote to state that "we" had parked in a disabled bay and displayed the blue badge. Just had a letter from them saying that they complied with all the rules about displaying charges and "the fact that you were seemingly unaware of this is not considered a mitigating circumstance to appeal".
They supply a POPLA reference number so i could appeal but the catch is if the appeal is not successful the discounted charge would not be discounted any more..
I see from other forum posts it is not a good idea to let them know who the driver is, hopefully that "we in my letter" is sufficiently vague.
As it is a general visitors car park and not linked to any particular shop, I can't appeal to the shop. Any suggestions about how to proceed, apart from following as many points in the template as I can ?
Cheers Nutsinmay
I received a Parking Charge Notice after my vehicle was parked in a disabled bay in a private Car Park in Tenby, Wales. The vehicle displayed a valid Disabled Blue Badge. The signage was ambiguous but between you me and the gatepost, it did say that blue badge holders must also pay [disgusting!]
I received the notice as keeper, from Highfield Parking. Ltd
I wrote to state that "we" had parked in a disabled bay and displayed the blue badge. Just had a letter from them saying that they complied with all the rules about displaying charges and "the fact that you were seemingly unaware of this is not considered a mitigating circumstance to appeal".
They supply a POPLA reference number so i could appeal but the catch is if the appeal is not successful the discounted charge would not be discounted any more..
I see from other forum posts it is not a good idea to let them know who the driver is, hopefully that "we in my letter" is sufficiently vague.
As it is a general visitors car park and not linked to any particular shop, I can't appeal to the shop. Any suggestions about how to proceed, apart from following as many points in the template as I can ?
Cheers Nutsinmay
0
Comments
-
it did say that blue badge holders must also pay [disgusting!]
Why does that disgust you, do you exepct free entry into a foorball match or Covent Garden? Do you want your car serviced for free?
I have a BB, because of arthritis. I walk slowly, but I am not skint, I can pay my way.
Whilst on the subject, why do BB holders get free passage over the Severn bridge?You never know how far you can go until you go too far.0 -
I agree with TD on this, we see a lot of these type of posts on here, I have no idea why BB holders (and we have one for the mother-in-law) automatically expect free parking, it gets people into a load of unnecessary trouble.it did say that blue badge holders must also pay [disgusting!]
Why does that disgust you, do you exepct free entry into a foorball match or Covent Garden? Do you want your car serviced for free?
I have a BB, because of arthritis. I walk slowly, but I am not skint, I can pay my way.
Whilst on the subject, why do BB holders get free passage over the Severn bridge?
The OP should follow the usual appeal points and procedure in that the "penalty" does not fit the "crime", and also realise that the so called discount is just a scam to get you to pay up instead of contest it.0 -
You owe them something. That would be the charge you did not pay plus a small admin fee for dealing with your mistake.
I suggest that you appeal to them again offering the charge plus , say, £5 or £10 for admin, saying that the signs were, to your mind, not clear. Tell them that you require a reply within 5 days or you will appeal to POPLA.0 -
I'm sorry, I too don't understand why BB holders should be entitled to free parking.
What else would you like for free?0 -
aguynameddarryl wrote: »I'm sorry, I too don't understand why BB holders should be entitled to free parking.
What else would you like for free?
There are two sides to the coin. I would tend to agree with you but I can envisage a situation where an able bodied person could get to the shop/facility by walking or public transport whereas a wheelchair/scooter user could not. The argument there is that the disabled person is incurring a cost that a mobile person is not. It has some merit, although there are good reasons why it can be challenged.
Because there are so many free parking facilities for disabled BB holders, they tend to forget to check when the car park is chargeable. That is their fault although accepting this to be the case is often met with views that the fact they have to pay is "disgusting" or similar.
Whatever view one takes, however, there is absolute equality in considering the ridiculous PPC charges as outrageous.0 -
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards