RE Restructure - Not being treated fairly

iNeedAdvice
iNeedAdvice Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 21 May 2015 at 11:39PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is right forum to post this but need to get this off my chest and get some advice.

I've been working for a local authority now for over 10 years in the IT department.

Over the years we have had a number of restructures but the team I work in has never been affected.

Recently we have been told that the whole department are being retructured and that we will need to apply for jobs in the new structure.

The HOS (head of service) has shown us the new structure chart and my job doesnt exisit!!

However there are 4 posts which are virtually the same as what im doing now but they have deliberatly changed the job title so that we cannot be assimilated...

For the past 6months we have had large private company working with the local authority on a number of IT projects.

The main project they are working on is exactly what my team do, however it seems the HOS and other management do not want us involved in it and have activly keeping us out of the loop with things.

So much so when they needed extra resources to help with the project they brough it more people from the private firm instead of getting the team I work for invovled in it.

To top it off, the HOS has recently made some "temporary" changes to our team and asked that one of our developers report directly to one of the managers from the private company.

As you can imagine, this is really demoralising and feels really unfair.

While the private company are brining in more and more resources, we are being pushed to the side and when I have asked the HOS what is going on, or why we are not being included he doesnt answer.

It almost feels like they do not want us and they are giving all of our work to a 3rd party.

Recently I challenged the HOS, asking him if the reason he moved one of team members into the "temporary" team was because he was the only person they wanted to keep and the rest of us where gonna be let go of when the new restructure happens... Again.. he didnt answer !!!

I am really unhappy with the way I am being treated, I want to address the issues but my team have all but given up hope... they feel like mamangement has made it clear they want to outsource the work we do and in the mean time we are expected to just sit back and watch other people doing our jobs!!

I am a member of the union but am unsure what help they could be...

If when the restructure takes place and all the jobs are ring-fenced, if I apply for the job (that the 3rd party company already have brought someone in to do even though the restructure hasnt happened yet) and do not get it, I will be given my notice of redundancy.

This is not what I want as I have a young family and need to support them.

I just feel like I should put up a fight and not let them walk all over me, or my team members....

Is there much I can do ? Would really appreciate some advice right now :(

Thanks for reading...

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Talking to your union is the best thing you can do at the moment
    ally.
  • Some of my team have spoken to the union... not sure exactly what advice has been given but from what I understand the union have said they can only help get the team a fair settlement...

I am going to book an appointment with them next week and will go to the CAB...

It just doesnt seem fair what the firm are doing. If when I apply for one of the new jobs in the new structure I wont have experience on the new system and nor will anyone else within our firm so it will then be outsourced to the 3rd party company who already have there feet under the table !!!
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Doesn't sound like they are doing anything illegal...however there may be an outsource angle and the private firm may have some liability to offer you roles under TUPE.

Thats the only thing I can think of may help you. If the roles with the new company are sufficiently different then yes you'd likely be looking at redundancy.
  • asajj
    The point is, it doesn't have to be fair. No redundancy nor restructuring is fair to the individual. As long as they are acting within law, there isn't much you can do.
    ally.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Do some background research to see if there is any connections with HOS to the out source.

Looks like they may be trying to avoid a TUPE.
  • fluffy70
    fluffy70 Posts: 226 Forumite
    you say you've worked for the local authority for 10 years in the IT department and now your post doesn't actually exist on the new structure chart - what consultation period are you in? How many employees does this affect? If your post will no longer exist this is redundancy - have you talked to the reducndancy advisers yet? Do you know what your redundancy package will be if you are not redeployed? Interviewing for one of the 'new' posts may be classed as redeployment - it may not depending on how they are wording it.
    If you are a member of the union call them and ask them when the consultation meetings are and if you can go into the union office to talk to your steward. you cant just sit back and take this.
    All of my views are my own :o
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I was a civil servant until outsourced to a private company 18 months ago. There was no role for me either in the new org. After some time in transition they made me compulsory redundant last week. I leave at the end of May with a settlement covered by my TUPE. During the outsouring and transition there was a lot that seemed unfair and the unions said much the same as you. Are you being TUPED over? Are they offering voluntary redundancy? Are they bound to find you a suitable role? And is compulsory redundant the final option?

Your manager is duty bound to support your queries but is most likely in a similar position. Stay alert and good luck. There is little hope in fighting the change but make sure your T&C's are at the front of what ever happens.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    My DH has recently been in a similar situation and whilst he got one of the jobs that he applied for a number of people didn't . It is dreadfully unfair, but there is absolutely nothing that you can do. My advice is start looking for another job as well as applying for all those that you can in the new structure. Remember though that redundancy costs money and so does using agencies, so HOS would have to make a damn good reason to spend said money!
  • asajj
    halfabee wrote: »
    They can't just change the job title and make you reapply for the role. If the job is over 50% the same as your old role when comparing the job descriptions, then you are ringfenced for that role - only you can apply for it. If the job is over 70 or 75% (I forget which? find out from HR) then the role is yours - no need to reapply. A change of job title means nothing if the meat of the JD remains the same.

Really? What if there are 2 roles only but 4 people?
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport