Investigating a heart murmur in my dog. What would you do?

Options
My Dog Cassie, who we think is about 11/12 (she's a Border Collie) recently had an ear infection. During the check up they have discovered a heart murmur.

The vet has talked about investigating it under sedation and scan etc. she is always in good spirits, loves her walks and her food. Has no back leg weakness etc.

Would you investigate and stress her or leave it? I'm unsure what to do. I don't want to make her suffer if something could be done to improve her life, but she seems fine??
I'm never offended by debate & opinions. As a wise man called Voltaire once said, "I disagree with what you say, but will defend until death your right to say it."
Mortgage is my only debt - Original mortgage - January 2008 = £88,400, March 2014 = £47,000 Chipping away slowly! Now saving to move.

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Difficult - I had a dog that had a heart murmur for most of its life and we just lived with it. IIRC, they did investigate when he was sedated for something else. He lived till 13 , which is the average age for a kelin spitz.

I have another ( very demic :o ) spitz, who was 6 when I got her, now 9, same thing, has a heart murmur and I've never gone down the investigation route.

Of course, murmurs vary in intensity. And a collie, could live for another 3-5 years.

I think it depends on how much you feel comfortable with your vet. Would they investigate every heart murmur, or are they wanting to investigate this one, because it's particularly bad?
  • Johnny_Dangerously
    Johnny_Dangerously Posts: 208 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2015 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Agree with bugs. Being a long term boxer owner, I've had a few with heart irregularities, and for me it depends on the age and the significance. I've been through expensive ECG scans etc before and ultimately they tend to just tell you how severe it might be. The advantage is that it might allow you to gauge progression or whether medication might help, but usually it just confirms the cause. None of my dogs have died from heart issues, if that helps put some perspective on it?

For an 11 year + dog, I wouldn't if it were mine, unless as bugslet says, the vet is particularly concerned about the immediate sound of it, or is confident that it has just developed. I would probably ask them to approximate the score of it and have regular check ups to check up on it.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had four cavaliers, three of which (including one of the two present dogs) have had MVD which shows as a heart murmur.

I had no intrusive investigation; just the very effective medication when symptoms (coughing,fluid retention and breathlessness showed). Most UK vets, unlike those in USA, don't recommend medication until symptoms show.

Izzy had a grade 6 by age 7 and lived two years on medication (don't know how it progressed as my then vet used to say his heart was 'good for a cavalier' which I took to mean no murmur). Monty had a 1 at age 9, which slowly increased, but didn't need meds until he was 12 (grade 6) and lived to almost 14. Joly has had a low grade for over four years and still has no symptoms at 12.

One of my present vets has a heart interest and says it is how a dog copes (ie shows symptoms) rather than the grade number. Monty coped well, even with a 6 and a friend had a dog live for two years with a grade 6 and no symptoms.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The question is impossible to answer without knowing severity of murmur.

My grey just had evidence of a veryy slight murmur this week for her vacs and check up. I'm not at all worried. Its incredibly minor and she had not had a lot to drink ( this can impact). Mine have free check ups at the six month point, if its there then I can re evaluate.
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First and foremost I would ask your vet what "grade" heart murmur your dog has. Most dogs live with a heart murmur and lead a normal life. My dog Milo was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he had liver problems, the vet wasn't concerned and just told me to watch for coughing or belly bloating, none of which he developed.
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
  • Bluemeanie_2
    Bluemeanie_2 Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was in a bit of tizz when she told me because of how upset I was, but I'll phone and speak to the vet on Tuesday and seek clarification.

Thanks again x
    I'm never offended by debate & opinions. As a wise man called Voltaire once said, "I disagree with what you say, but will defend until death your right to say it."
    Mortgage is my only debt - Original mortgage - January 2008 = £88,400, March 2014 = £47,000 Chipping away slowly! Now saving to move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure