🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Changing banks - what happens to ISA?

Options
Hi there

I feel having been with my bank, HSBC, since a kid it is time to leave my loyalty behind and switch to First Direct. I have always been a bit reluctant to do so but now is the right time as I am saving up for a house deposit so could do with the extra savings.

I have not been putting money into my ISA this tax year as I am waiting for the Help to Buy but it has a fair amount in it and is earning good interest. I also have a regular saver with HSBC with the high interest ending in August (I may wait to take the plunge then). What will happen to these accounts? Do they transfer as well? I am worried the ISA will seem like I have put money into it and therefore I won't be able to take advantage of the H2B straight away.

Does the 7 day switch just apply to current accounts or transfer the other accounts too?

Hope that makes sense and someone can help.

Thanks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 May 2015 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Switching is for current accounts only.

Nothing happens to ISA unless it's some special one for current account holders only, but you can't have the Regular Saver without a current account.
    now is the right time as I am saving up for a house deposit so could do with the extra savings.
    I don't understand why you want to switch; you can just open an account with FD without switching. If it's the bonus that you want, then open a new account with any bank, even with HSBS, and switch it.
  • Spinky77
    Spinky77 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I am wanting to switch because of the £125 odd bonus you get for going to FD and you have to pay in £1,000 to get this bonus plus their interest rates.

I think I am best waiting til after my Regular Saver finishes either way.

Thanks grumbler
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2015 at 10:42AM
    Options
    Spinky77 wrote: »
    I am wanting to switch because of the £125 odd bonus you get for going to FD and you have to pay in £1,000 to get this bonus plus their interest rates.
    £1000 doesn't have to be wages/salary.
    I don't think it's needed for the "interest rates".
    For avoiding the current account monthly fee there are much simpler ways.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Watch out for Nationwide: Some of their best-paying savings accounts including ISAs are for existing accounts only and cannot be transferred in. In that case you could withdraw the ISA balance at your old bank and close it but in that case the withdrawn amount will likely count against this year's allowance if you then deposit it in a new ISA.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Watch out for Nationwide: Some of their best-paying savings accounts including ISAs are for existing accounts only and cannot be transferred in. In that case you could withdraw the ISA balance at your old bank and close it but in that case the withdrawn amount will likely count against this year's allowance if you then deposit it in a new ISA.
    Fortunately, by specifically looking at opening an account with FD, OP is somewhat unlikely to be affected by anything to do with Nationwide!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport