We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

1st Credit offer or con?

I've recently had a letter from 1st Credit offering to pay 95% on an old debt if I pay 5%. Seemed like a good idea just to get rid of this. I paid my 5% which was accepted by 1st Credit. I now want to know if this was 'too good' to be true or was it a trick to catch me? Anyone else done this or have I opened up more trouble?

Comments

  • Malmo
    Malmo Posts: 710 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    How old is the debt? That is the key bit of information needed to answer your question. If the debt is over 6 years old AND you've not acknowledged it or paid anything towards it, then the debt should be statute barred anyway and therefore, legally unenforceable.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.