Transfering money abroad in another currency using credit card

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried exchanging money to a foreign account using a 123 santander credit card on low fee services like transferwise and if so were you charged any fees by santander?

Comments

• blenz101
    blenz101 Posts: 42
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I understood these type of services to be primarily pre-loaded via a debit rather than a credit card.

Looking at transferwise specifically they do say they support 'some' credit cards but they themselves will also apply a 0.3% fee and do warn on their website that transactions even on a debit card may appear as a cash advance; it is almost certain their merchant code will appear as foreign exchange purchase which will be treated as cash by your credit card provider.

If you don't get a response from someone in your specific circumstance here the best idea would be to carry out a test transaction with a small amount if you really want to try and use the card.

Unless you have a specific reason to use this card I would caution against against even trying the above as withdrawing cash on a credit card may/will likely be seen as a negative by your bank when assessing your credit profile even if it was for forex purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure