We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Best place to buy Polytunnel and Fruit Cage

Options
I am in the fortunate position to be able to purchase a polytunnel and fruit cage and need some advice about the best place to purchase these.

I am not looking for a commercial tunnel, but a strong 12 or 14 ft tunnel about 30ft long that will cope with the bad weather in Cornwall to supply veg year round if possible.

Fruit Cage looking at about 15 x 20 ft cage to grow a variety of fruit.

Space is not an issue, I really need advice about who to purchase from, as there are a number of sites all promising to be the best.

Would rather rely on the unbiased opinions of members of this forum who have actually bought from different companies and have experience of their products.

Comments

• soupdragon10
    soupdragon10 Posts: 967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't believe no-one can advise me about the best place to buy these. I am at a loss as to which supplier you would rate as best overall.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    OH would love this info too !!

Though prob better with someone local - maybe look on gumtree
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Polytunnels: the best are probably Northern Polytunnels, but I decided to buy my 42' x 24' from First Tunnels as they had a good, accessible techie helpline and they're a bit cheaper.

It's still there and I am pleased with it.

Haggle hard for a discount or extras. I got free sliding doors and I'm very glad I did.
  • soupdragon10
    Options
    I have looked locally, but here in Cornwall my options are limited :)

Can I ask how long your First tunnel has been up? Did you go for ground bars or burying your cover?
  • Davesnave
    Options
    I have looked locally, but here in Cornwall my options are limited :)

Can I ask how long your First tunnel has been up? Did you go for ground bars or burying your cover?

It's no different from Devon, so far as the big companies are concerned. The driver who delivered mine had sleeping facilities in his lorry.

My tunnel has been up since 2011 or 12..... can't remember. I went for ground bars and a side bar too, as I wanted to design my own ventilation system. I've only ever ventilated the one side, but I could do the other if I needed to.

I'm pleased with my tunnel. I don't have extra reinforcement, but I have crop bars which add rigidity and allow me to hang shading up in summer. Got a free job lot of that from a roof refurb on a city station! :D
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used Premier Polytunnels and am pleased with my tunnel but I only used them as I wanted their tensioning system for trenched tunnels which First Tunnels don't do (as far as I can tell). My own tunnel is only a 10 by 10 so no need for side ventilation.

However, I work in a 25 foot tunnel with no side vents and even in February, in the North East it got up to 25 degrees by midday. Now we can't work in it if the sun comes out as it pushes the high 30s. Not good for the plants either so get side ventilation, both sides, so rails not trenches.

Northern tunnels are really good but more expensive. If you have a look in the back of Gardeners World magazine there are lots of suppliers. I can't vouch for them but there might be one near you, also I think small suppliers can often be better.

The basics of the tunnels are all the same so shop around. Do get thicker hoops, the difference between the 35mm and the 25mm is telling in high winds.

For your polytunnel supplies you can use LBS Horticulture and set up a trade account, they are very good and reasonably priced if buying in bulk.
  • soupdragon10
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies - I am looking at either Northern Polytunnels or LBS as they have thicker hoops which will offer more strength, and hopefully mean the tunnel will last me well into retirement :)
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies - I am looking at either Northern Polytunnels or LBS as they have thicker hoops which will offer more strength, and hopefully mean the tunnel will last me well into retirement :)

Yes, theirs go up to 60mm approx, whereas mine are only 51mm, but I have never felt that ours would collapse.

All of them get noisy when the rain is hammering down and the end sheeting always flaps a bit, because you can never get it as taut as the parts over the hoops....well, I can't anyway!

Check whether your council thinks you need planning permission. A 14' wide tunnel is, theoretically, 'commercial,' though someone has put up a wider one than that here in an outstandingly beautiful spot, without permission, and he appears to be getting away with it. The only reason I haven't reported him is because I'm fascinated by what he'll do next, or whether the river will get him come a good flood. He's pushing his luck in all sorts of ways. :rotfl:
  • GandalfTheTight
    Options
    I used https://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/

Help line good - seemed ok and videos were useful

Garden.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts