Cat Spraying Problem

Options
Rummer
Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hello

I really need some advice. We have two cats a girl and a boy and they come and go as they please through a cat flap in the kitchen. Over the last few weeks however the whole house has been reeking of cat urine and the source is the area around the cat flap. Our female cat has also had a couple of scratches on her nose making me thing that the spraying and scratches are due to her fending off an intruder.

The smell is really overwhelming and I want to make sure that the cats are safe and happy in their home. What can I do to tackle this? OH wants to close the cat flap and keep them indoors but they are outdoor cats and I think this would be unfair. However I am at a loss at to what to try next.
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Are they both microchipped? If they are then get a micro-chip cat flap that will only open for your cats and stop unwanted guests from strolling in.
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/microchip_cat_flaps/138700
  • Shrike
    Shrike Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got a microchip flap for my girl and it works really well. There are at least two cats that regularly try to break in to nick her dinner - it keeps them out nicely!
    I would hope the OP has their pets chipped anyway - outdoor cats especially are at risk of getting lost, though even an indoor one can inadvertantly find itself outside.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another vote for a microchip catflap. We had this problem at our previous house and it was a nightmare trying to work out where the spray had got to. As we moved last year and had to install a catflap anyway, I asked for people's views on the microchip catflaps and after positive responses, installed one.

Works a treat and there has not been any incidents of spraying as there are no strangers coming in!
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Both cats are chipped however the cat flap is in an unusual position and it would be impractical to have as a chip activated flap. We could consider having one fitted in our kitchen door but that would be expensive and I thought I would explore other options first.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Carer
    Carer Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Try not using the flap for a few weeks at all.
    We manage fine without one in the house, they soon learn how to come and ask to go out.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to have neighbours cats come in and spray, the stench was horrendous!
    Micro chip reading flap sorted the problem beautifully :)

Wilkinsons do a deterrent spray that stopped the cats marking around the door too, gave off a very strong smell of garlic, but stopped the little beggers.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport