Neighbour's Wheelie Bin Damaged my Car

Options

Comments

• magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wonder if the OP will be back, having got an answer they do not want.

I feel sorry of the neighbour. Hopefully they will simply pass the claim to the insurer who will give the OP a response that will not explicitly end in "off" but that will be the gist of it.
  • MercOwner
    MercOwner Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    The neighbours said they aren't going to claim on their insurance from it. If they're decent about it they might offer to share the cost at least.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you mean share the cost of repairs to their wheelie bin?
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's unlikely that your neighbour could claim for damage to your car on his insurance even if he wanted to. His insurance is there to protect him - not to protect you. So it doesn't cover your car - it only covers his legal liabilities. If he's not liable in a legal sense (which he probably isn't, for the reasons discussed) but feels a bit awkward about it and wants to make a contribution anyway, that's not something that his insurers would pay for.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MercOwner wrote: »
    The neighbours said they aren't going to claim on their insurance from it.
    Unless you make a formal claim against them then they cannot. If you do then they will need to put it to their insurance company to protect themselves - but it will not help you.
    If they're decent about it they might offer to share the cost at least.
    On the other hand, they might decide to spend the money helping the people of Nepal who, frankly, have far more pressing needs than sorting out a dent in their cars.
  • MercOwner
    Options
    You might not think it's that important, but it's a lot of money to me and I feel aggrieved. I will see Solicitor to check the position.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You might not think it's that important, but it's a lot of money to me and I feel aggrieved. I will see Solicitor to check the position.
    Good money thrown away!

Why not accept the advice you have been given and concentrate on the cheapest way forward.

Find out what a back street garage will charge and look at the full cost of a claim including your excess/loss of NCD/raised future premiums and work out if a claim is worthwhile and move on
  • fierystormcloud
    fierystormcloud Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    Options
    #firstworldproblems

As above ^^^ I am sure the good people of NEPAL and other countries struggling and hungry and war torn, would LOVE to swap places with a pretentious diva who is all huffy that his Merc has a wee dent in it!
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • MercOwner
    Options
    Fair enough, it's not that big a deal I know. It sounds like it's not worth suing over, but it's a pain to lose my NCD!
  • N1AK
    N1AK Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They put their bins right next to my driveway- I can't park anywhere else. They've not fallen over before, but surely it's foreseeable that they might if they aren't secured behind the wall? It's going to cost me £5-600 to fix.

If they've been keeping the bin there for some time, and it was foreseeable, then when you foresaw it did you:
    > Ask the neighbours to position it differently?
    > Ask the neighbours to make any other changes to stop it happening?
    > Make any change on your part to protect from it happening?

Additionally for all you, or anyone else, know(s) someone else pushed the bin over into your car.

It sucks to have your stuff damaged, to know someone else is at least partly to blame etc but sometimes (and I suggest this is one of those times) the best course of action is to curse the universe and move on ;)
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure