biOrb Baby Aquarium, 15 Litre, 30 x 32 cm

Options
Recently was looking for a small fishtank for my girlfriend but wanted one that looked stylish and not to big 1 or 2 fish.

Almost brought a baby biorb at Pets at Home, until i saw a promotion on another voucher site for a £37 15L tank from SEA LIFE - They sell online so was perfect as didnt need to find a centre to visit.

Does what it says on the website..
  • Stylish 'all in one' aquarium kit
  • Easy to set up and maintain
  • Includes low voltage 12v led light.
  • 12 month manufacturer guarantee

Great starter kit and the OH loved it! :T

Comments

• Moosie80
    Options
    Hi, thanks for this. It would be a perfect starter tank for my other half. He's been pestering me for ages and it would be nice to surprise him by giving in for once! However, I can't seem to find this deal online or on the Sea Life site.. Do you have a link or further website info please? Keen to buy it soon. Thanks.

Carrie.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just bear in mind that you'd be very limited as to which fish you could put in a tank so small - do your research before buying to find out the minimum space the fish of your choice require, you may be surprised
  • Moosie80
    Options
    So no sharks? Oh he will be disappointed, heh heh. I was thinking we'd start him off small, with a couple of the tiniest tiddlers and upgrade to a bigger tank if he's still keen in 6 months or so. We're a young couple and he has the attention span of a gold fish so I anticipate he'll lose interest before then. Hence the reason this tank would be a good starter.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not that clued up on fish (what knowledge I have was from working in a petshop with a fish section, and reading some of the fish magazines in the staffroom through lack of other reading material!), but look on some fish forums and you'll find plenty of info. Don't forget that tanks need cycling, i.e. you can't just buy a tank and fish on the same day.

It seems like little fish like minnow might be OK for the 15l biOrb, or maybe a Betta (Siamese fighting fish). But, contrary to the old popularity of keeping goldfish in tiny plastic tanks, it would be far too small to keep even one goldfish in - goldfish produce a lot of waste so would effectively poison themselves in such a small tank, plus the whole "growing with the size of the tank" thing is a myth - they simply die before having a chance to get fully grown.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Best site on the internet,and the relevant board..

http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

15 litres is hopelessly inadequate.Wish they wouldn't produce such tiny tanks.You will struggle to get anything to survive in one.

Best starting with the biggest size you can afford,and if that means buying a larger one secondhand,then that is a much better idea.

Please read up on all the relevant info and ask away.They are a very friendly and helpful bunch of people.I have been keeping fish for nearly 30 years and still find useful info there.Fish keeping has changed so much over the years.
  • Shrike
    Shrike Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's one of lifes ironies that people go for a small tank as a 'starter' with the view of working up to a bigger one if all goes well. Its actually much harder to keep a small volume of water healthy than a larger one.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you check Facebook for local fish lovers' sites, you may be able to buy a full set up in a proper tank at a bargain price.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    Options
    Shrike wrote: »
    It's one of lifes ironies that people go for a small tank as a 'starter' with the view of working up to a bigger one if all goes well. Its actually much harder to keep a small volume of water healthy than a larger one.

And another of life ironies is that my local aquaria store is still selling red tailed catfish as a community fish :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure