Introducing a new guinea pig?

Options
Cliecost
Cliecost Posts: 633 Forumite
edited 15 May 2015 at 6:10PM in Pets & pet care
Hi,

I have a guinea pig who is about 3 years old. We got him at the same time as another who dies about a year and a half ago.

Since then he has been on his own. Still seems quite happy and loud like a normal pig.

I would like to get another because I feel 2 are better than 1 but I am wary of how unsociable guinea pigs can be with another pig they don't know.

Looking online it says as long as they're both male and one is a baby pig then it should be okay following the normal introduction regime.

My question is has anyone had any experience in this? Have you found it to be simple or a nightmare?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Cliecost
    Cliecost Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    bumpbumpbump
  • MarylandCookie_2
    MarylandCookie_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2015 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Hi there, I've introduced cats, rabbits and piggies - not all together though! I have to say the cats and rabbits were traumatic, and neither sets got on. Unfortunately I ended up keeping the rabbits in separate hutches and rehomed one if the cats.

The good news is that the guinea pigs were much easier! We were in a similar position to you, when one of an established pair died. We rescued another guinea pig and basically introduced them in a large run, with lots of distractions, food, tubes etc and they were fine. They were both female. I understand that males are more prone to fighting, but our girls were fine together. Piggies are social creatures, so I'm sure your piggy would love a friend, just make sure it's the same sex so you don't have baby piggies!!

The only thing to think about is if your piggy is 3 and you get a baby piggy you might be in the same boat again in a year or two. Also, if he's lived alone for 18 months he might just be happier on his own.

Hope that helps x
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I introduced a baby boy to a slightly older pig, it was really simple, I pretty much just put them together in a neutral playpen. Baby was smitten with the older boy, who wasn't really fussed either way at first, within a day they were in a freshly cleaned cage together and I had no problems at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure