Neighbours and the Stray cat

Options
My neighbours have taken fondly to a stray cat - They're feeding it, and providing it somewhere to sleep (They leave their porch open for it to go in)

It doesn't have a collar (I put one on him with a note to see whether he had an owner) but next door took it off....

I don't mind cats, the problem I have is this: I have a dog - He has a problem with cats ... I'm terrified that my dog will get the cat (Who teases the dog by prancing up and down the fence in front of him)

Usually - I leave my dog outside on the back garden in the summer if I nip out (secure garden, parents check on him whilst I'm out, they live over the road and obviously he has food, water and shelter)

I daren't do this with the cat teasing him just in case the dog decides one day that he has had enough and tries to get the cat.

Next door wont stop feeding it / providing it a "home" - but they will state it isn't theirs and they wont be responsible for it.

Anything I can do?

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yes make sure your garden is secure and the dog can't get out -over and above there isn't anything else you can do -Most cats can outrun dogs anyway
    Although I must admit people who leave their dogs unattended outside for hours subjecting the neighbourhood to their barking are a pet peeve of mine- I never understand why if the dog is fine inside in the winter why they *have* to left outside in the summer unattended. Could the dog not be left in your parents' garden rather than yours if you are away for hours at a time so the dog isn't left completely alone and unsupervised ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Mimi_Arc_en_ciel Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Yes make sure your garden is secure and the dog can't get out -over and above there isn't anything else you can do -Most cats can outrun dogs anyway
    Although I must admit people who leave their dogs unattended outside for hours subjecting the neighbourhood to their barking are a pet peeve of mine- I never understand why if the dog is fine inside in the winter why they *have* to left outside in the summer unattended. Could the dog not be left in your parents' garden rather than yours if you are away for hours at a time so the dog isn't left completely alone and unsupervised ?

I try not to leave him out for too long - He isn't left "for hours" unsupervised - at the moment my parents are letting him out every hour but in the summer the house gets unbelievably hot inside (even with the windows open - The sun shines directly through the back of the house most of the day and there's no tress around to offer any shade) so he does need to have some fresh air - My other neighbours are retired and keep an eye on him also and they offered to walk him also (I think the lady wants something to do!) . As he's round the back he doesn't bark unless someone goes to the door or if the cats about. He cant go to my parents as they have an older dog who doesn't like other dogs in his "territory" - Especially mine who just wants to play all the time lol
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I very much doubt he could 'get' this stray. cats are remarkably swift and agile and this cat no doubts knows exactly what he is doing.
    and before long your dog will realise he is being 'played' and lose interest.
    My first cat Timmy used to do this with the Dobermans up the street - he would walk across the wire grid on top of their pen and sit and dangle his tail through it. my advice to the Dobermans owner was to invest in a water pistol - and soak the little sod as he hates that! a couple of soakings later and he stopped doing it.
  • missmontana
    missmontana Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it genuinely a stray? I'd suggest you contact the local cats protection and ask them to come and scan for a microchip. It could well be someones missing pet!!
    Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
    They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure