Missus on Benefits, moving in with me - What to do?

Options
Hi my partner is about to move in with me and she claims Tax Credits (for our child) and housing benefit which pays her rent and council tax.

I understand that all this will stop due to my income, but what do we do... i.e. just call them to stop it all...

The only thing I am stuck with is the tax credits. Does she end her claim and we just make a joint claim? Also will she get a 4 week run on?
The harder one works the luckier one gets!

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi my partner is about to move in with me and she claims Tax Credits (for our child) and housing benefit which pays her rent and council tax.

I understand that all this will stop due to my income, but what do we do... i.e. just call them to stop it all...

The only thing I am stuck with is the tax credits. Does she end her claim and we just make a joint claim? Also will she get a 4 week run on?

Yes, you need to call all benefit offices to tell them and yes, the single claim will become a joint one for tax credit purposes (if you are eligible)

As far as I am aware there is no 'run on'. The joint claim will be backdated to the end of the single claim (if you are eligible)
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options

4 week run-on won't apply, that is only when you stop work or working hours fall.

You will need to end the single claim from the date you move in together and then make a new joint claim within 1 month to get backdating to the date you moved in together.

IQ
  • dmliverpool
    dmliverpool Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheers. It was just a quick sanity check.
    The harder one works the luckier one gets!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure