Do you think present non-means tested benefits could become means tested?

Options
Hi folks,

I was just thinking about this..

What are the chances do you think that all present non means tested benefits such as ESA (CB) PIP, carers allowance will all become means tested in future within the lifetime of the new government?

I know that no one has a crystal ball or for that matter that the new tory government has even determined its final benefit policy but it does seem to me that the above could come about within the lifetime of this government.

Chances are it would go through and on the strength of the vote for the conservatives most people not receiving the above benefits would probably agree with this policy.

John

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    This needs to go in Discussion Time.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »

That's one perception, and interesting that it's your only opinion on the question.

My consideration is that, being a benefits question, the benefits forum is the ideal place.

There's a lot of the planned £12bn unexplained so the suggestion seems highly possible, veering towards probable.

I also think it highly likely that all benefits will become taxable.
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hope so! Why should you get public funds if you can afford it without?
  • johnsmi
    johnsmi Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »

The thought did cross my mind before posting where to put this, discussion time or the benefits board but thought as its a benefits post where the outcome if implemented could affect a lot of people this perhaps was the right place to post it.

Sorry if this offended anyone.
    John
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Witless wrote: »
    That's one perception, and interesting that it's your only opinion on the question.

My consideration is that, being a benefits question, the benefits forum is the ideal place.

There's a lot of the planned £12bn unexplained so the suggestion seems highly possible, veering towards probable.

but this part of the forum is for benefits advice and not for discussing benefits policy
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Taxing all benefits would make it fair - I'm a 71 year old widow with DWP pension, and I work 21 hours @£6.65 per hour and receive no other benefits. My colleagues who work the same hours at the same hourly rate as I receive also receive WTC and HB. My pension is set against my taxation personal allowance and consequently I pay more tax than my colleagues who receive benefits which amount to the same as my pension but which are not taxed.
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Quite right. Good to see someone other than me saying this. It would get lost in DT.

Of course, the compromise would be to have a benefits umbrella with a forum for specific queries and another for general or just have the main one and a sister forum for general topics.

I'm sure I've seen that suggestion before.;)
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    tea-bag wrote: »
    Does that include not getting the personal tax allowance? ;)

Seriously, there's plenty of evidence to show advantages in universal benefits of certain kinds rather than administratively complicated means tested ones.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

It's not a Benefit question though is it ?
    It's about the possibility of taxation. Maybe it belongs on the 'Cutting Tax' board :think:

This kind of topic is well covered under many guises on the Discussion Board...having it here will only encourage some vociferous anti-whatever's over here and people genuinely seeking some information of their legitimate entitlements will get lost amongst all the bickering that will ensue.

(Apologies misspril75 :D)
  • billywilly
    billywilly Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    tea-bag wrote: »

My opinion and hope is that they should be both means tested AND taxable.
    It is a ridiculous situation when a pensioner couple for example who get say £200 a week between them in State Pension payments which is more or less the maximum they could get before paying tax, and they could well get another £500 a week in benefits that aren't taxable.

I know quite a few people (of all ages) that have an income of over £500 a week, yet pay no tax on it and only have a small portion of it that is means tested.

I have to submit an annual tax return to pay the balance over the amount of tax collected through the PAYE system - AND we receive three means tested benefits including HB and CTS!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure