How to transfer money to someone without name appearing?!

Options

Comments

• semnome4747
    Options
    Thanks for the advice bowlhead99 - you have captured perfectly the sentiments...the main reason is that he is stubborn and I just wanted to try to avoid the embarrassment of him giving the money back to me, realise very English but that was the main reason to avoid the stuffing cash in envelopes or writing cheques...once again appreciate you taking the time to write back - thank you
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    The 'anonymous donor' thing is a bit of a bad idea really. If you sent it implying it were a UK tax return, or council tax rebate which has no paperwork behind it, or an anonymous bank payment that randomly arrived in his account without him knowing why, and he has any sense, he would then be concerned that the money might be clawed back; or that he had to tell the tax office about it somehow when dealing with them in future, resulting in a lot of confusion... and he might put it to one side and not spend it always being nervous about when someone would ask for it back.

I can imagine if you sent him a cheque or physically gave him the money, he would refuse to cash it saying he doesn't need it, you didn't need to do that, etc etc. I have friends and relatives who would say the same, wouldn't dream of asking for repayment and wouldn't want you to feel you owed them, they have already mentally written it off etc etc etc.

The only classy way to do it is just be up front with him and honest about what you're trying to do.

Send it to his account as a normal bank transfer , reference 'thanks good buddy', which will appear on his statement with your name on it. Send him an email (as a written letter in the post is slow and might get there some time after he spots the money on online banking and confronts you about it). In the email say you don't want to make a big deal about being so grateful for him helping you out of a tough spot, but you really appreciate him being a good mate and you're now back on your feet so have put a little thankyou present into his bank account.

If he laughs and sends it you back saying he wasn't looking for repayment, laugh yourself and say tough, you're having it whether you like it or not, if don't need it in your bank account then please enjoy a weekend away or treat the wife or give it to another friend or relative in need - and just transfer it to him again :).

Unlike you trying to stuff a pile of cash into his hands, he can't stop the money arriving in his account, and he'll just accept that you want him to have it. He will understand you are a proud man that doesn't want charity and doesn't want to feel like you have to buy him the next 100 pints when you are at the pub together.
  • semnome4747
    Options
    Good advice!! I always fancied being called something exotic...! :rotfl:
    globalds wrote: »
    Change your name to " Council tax refund "
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    While I admire your concern over your friend's feelings, I think it is a really bad idea to try to repay the loan anonymously.

Please be open about it. Your friend will be delighted that you are now able to repay the loan, whether he needs it or not. You will know you've done the right thing, and should you ever need his help in future, you will be able to ask, and your friendship will be stronger :)

bowlhead99 talks a lot :p of sense
  • red_imps_2003
    red_imps_2003 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I echo some of the above concerns. If money appeared in my account I was not expecting it would cause me no end of hassle trying to get to the bottom of it. I doubt your friend would thank you if he were to do the same.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Notes in an envelope marked "Thank you so much for helping me out so much all that time ago, this is so you can do the same for someone else one day xx"
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As somebody has already said, if you have their bank account details, you can take cash to a bank branch and fill in a paying in slip with their bank details and it will be anonymous. I think that answers your question. There are many good reasons not to go down the anonymous route, as others have said.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or treat them to something you can do together. Thanks for helping me out when things were tough, I've booked us in to thrash some Ferrari's around Silverstone* as a thank you.

* which is what I did for a generous friend of mine, only with a day out at Wembley to watch England play.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ascertain his favourite charity and send them a cheque for £500. Get a receipt and present him with it. Then claim tax relief on it from hmrc (worth a ton if you're at basic rate ). The best solution all round !
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ascertain his favourite charity and send them a cheque for £500. Get a receipt and present him with it. Then claim tax relief on it from hmrc (worth a ton if you're at basic rate ). The best solution all round !

But it's the charity that gets the tax relief, not you

Still a good idea
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a good idea (but I would still offer to pay him first) you never know he might have something he could usefully do with the money

if you a HR (40% tax payer) you can claim the difference between that and BR as part of your self assessment and get a £100 back in 18 months time (lol).
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills