MSE News: Voting today? You don't need a poll card

Options
Former_MSE_Paloma
Former_MSE_Paloma Posts: 531 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 7 May 2015 at 1:53PM in Consumer rights
If you want to vote today but don't have a poll card, fear not, you can vote without it ...
Read the full story:

'Voting today? You don't need a poll card'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been voting by post for years.

Had a fall a few weeks ago, had the X-Ray.
    Shouldn't put pressure on it. Queuing?
    Guaranteed to bring on the throbbing, again.

They can trust us not to falsely declare on the Electoral Registration, by sending the two part code, but they can't trust me to vote online?

Send me a code by text/e-mail, another by post, and let me vote online. Saves me a trip to the letter box, on throbbing feet.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Consumer rights eh? I don't think so, but I guess an argument could be made that voters are consumers of the electoral system.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me and 'er indoors have just been up to our local polling station. To be honest, I'm absolutely surprised these days that people aren't asked for photo ID as a mandatory part of turning up at the polling station. Indeed, I had my photo ID driving licence in my hand to show them, but they're just not interested.

I guess that's what happens when you live in the land of complete trust and taking people's word that they are who they say they are. Not open for any sort of fraud at all is it? Or am I just a bit cynical?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What sort of idiot would take a 'selfie' of themselves voting?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KTF wrote: »

The sort that votes?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • haynick
    haynick Posts: 521 Forumite
    Options
    The sort that votes?

Too true!!!
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    KTF wrote: »

seen quite a few on facebook today :)
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    I'm absolutely surprised these days that people aren't asked for photo ID as a mandatory part of turning up at the polling station.
    We already no longer have a proper secret ballot because the ballot paper IDs can be and have been used to identify how people voted. At least we still have a degree of deniability in the ability to claim it wasn't really us who voted.
    Caddyman wrote: »
    Not open for any sort of fraud at all is it? Or am I just a bit cynical?
    There is a register that says who voted. Among other things this is made available to political parties so they can target those who are more likely voters. If an individual challenges the vote they supposedly cast the ability to track which ballot paper was used can be used to invalidate that vote. I wish that this capability didn't exist, though.

For those unfamiliar with it, the most prominent case where widespread abuse of the voting system was carried out was probably when it was used to identify everyone who voted for the Communist Party. By that point the party itself had been quite thoroughly compromised and at one point its leader was actually an employee of the Security Service. It was a pretty thorough subversion of the political and voting system so far as that party was concerned.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Had six door bell rings yesterday. I said to them it's illegal to canvass on the day of election, and they said they are just urging people to vote. Told them I voted for them two weeks ago by post. Makes no difference, three more people from the same party turned up to urge me to vote up to 8pm.

No co-ordination whatsoever. What's the point of annoying the people who already voted? The other lots only rang the bell once each.

Supposed to be resting my foot.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Had six door bell rings yesterday. I said to them it's illegal to canvass on the day of election, and they said they are just urging people to vote. Told them I voted for them two weeks ago by post. Makes no difference, three more people from the same party turned up to urge me to vote up to 8pm.

No co-ordination whatsoever. What's the point of annoying the people who already voted? The other lots only rang the bell once each.

Supposed to be resting my foot.

Is it? I thought it was only illegal within 250m of the polling station.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure