BCA Auction Advice

Options
Freefall
Freefall Posts: 431 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 5 May 2015 at 12:36AM in Motoring
I wonder if anyone can give me a hand regarding this vehicle I am looking at -
Audi A6 (ST61 NSY) being sold at Edinbrurgh BCA on 7 May 2015

It ticks a lot of boxes for me. However, I am confused.

It is Lex Autolease, 3 years old (1st Reg on 31 Jan 2012 - pre-reg?) yet the auction is listing it as 3 prev owners!

I did an HPI and it is coming back as 2 reg keepers (do they use different criteria?).

The other bit I do not understand is that when I ran an HPI (I have access to the trade HPI DB), it is coming back as Contract Hire 26 months commencing in December 2013. I did not know you could do early termination on a CH, so am I right in thinking this is likely a repo?

Also BCA have graded it cond 3 (chips on bonnet - so I guess motorway driving, and a small dent with paint damage to rear bumper). I am not too fussed about this but wonder if I should be looking at the CAP/Glass Average or Below guide prices?

Any advice appreciated re this vehicle and anything I should look out for?

Comments

• loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you may be better posting this on Pistonheads or an Audi forum.
    Do you know what BCA charges are?
  • Freefall
    Freefall Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On a vehicle like that they will be about £600 (at around 11K mark).

Which is still good compared to dealership price
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Freefall wrote: »
    On a vehicle like that they will be about £600 (at around 11K mark).

Which is still good compared to dealership price

Found it on BCA

I had a look on WBAC and with adding in the damage, they value it at £10,635. This would be in line with your thinking of approx £11K auction price. Maybe £11,200.

As you say, this would compare favourably with the retail price approx £15,500 (and again the dealer margin is roughly right there at £3.5K)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503021360245/sort/default/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/transmission/manual/channel/cars/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/fuel-type/diesel/make/audi/maximum-mileage/up_to_70000_miles/model/a6/usedcars/postcode/bt622hb?logcode=p
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    Options
    Not really WBAC are part of BCA group now and their cars are sold through the auction. There would need to be more of a margin than this.
  • motorguy
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    Not really WBAC are part of BCA group now and their cars are sold through the auction. There would need to be more of a margin than this.

WBAC would chip you back anyway. And they dont pay the same fees as you or i.

Also, £3K-£3.5k is about right for dealer margin, when you look at what can be had for £15-16K
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    remember at the auction you have their fees to pay, its around 10-15% take a look at their web site,
    BCA graded car as 3, did they show green or tick for engine and transmission ? (cant remember how BCA show that stuff none)
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2015 at 6:11PM
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Found it on BCA

I had a look on WBAC and with adding in the damage, they value it at £10,635. This would be in line with your thinking of approx £11K auction price. Maybe £11,200.

As you say, this would compare favourably with the retail price approx £15,500 (and again the dealer margin is roughly right there at £3.5K)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503021360245/sort/default/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/transmission/manual/channel/cars/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/fuel-type/diesel/make/audi/maximum-mileage/up_to_70000_miles/model/a6/usedcars/postcode/bt622hb?logcode=p

You won't get it for anywhere close to WBAC price. Otherwise how would BCA make money on the cars they buy via WBAC?

And a car like an Audi that are sometimes driven by those who will never own it and therefore see care and maintenance as somebody elses problems, along with 2 or 3 owners in 3 years makes it a risk too far.

If it is the old shape aswell, like the one in your link, then it is not a bargain.

You can get new shape ones for not much more with full dealer facilities from Car Giant
  • motorguy
    edited 5 May 2015 at 6:23PM
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    You won't get it for anywhere close to WBAC price. Otherwise how would BCA make money on the cars they buy via WBAC?

And a car like an Audi that are sometimes driven by those who will never own it and therefore see care and maintenance as somebody elses problems, along with 2 or 3 owners in 3 years makes it a risk too far.

If it is the old shape aswell, like the one in your link, then it is not a bargain.

You can get new shape ones for not much more with full dealer facilities from Car Giant

I dont think WBAC work to massive margins. The last couple of our own cars that we've priced with them have been approx £500 down on what the "real" trade price turned out to be.

You're right - i've linked to an old model car on autotrader, whereas the one the O/P is looking at is a new model.

RE: Car Giant, they have one for not a massive amount more, however there may be some refurb costs with their car + "buyers fee", etc -

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Audi/A6/details-675661-Audi-A6.asp

I guess theres a still a saving to be had if the O/P wants to take a small risk though.
  • motorguy
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »

Just checked and its an ex LEX car, so should have a full history through the leasing deal.
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    Options
    If you go the auction, I'd be interested in what the car goes for/you get it for.
    I look on BCA Auction View - I very often put the details in WBAC and presume they go for around this, WBAC prices are not far of trade prices.
    You would think that some website/forum would list what auction cars actually sell for but I've never come across any ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure