Knitting in round - where to start?

riskyinred
riskyinred Posts: 66 Forumite
edited 2 May 2015 at 8:43PM in Crafting
Hello,

Looking for some kind help here as I've already messed this up twice & have had to unpick and start again.

So I'm following a pattern to knit a woodland creature. I have my stitches spread across three needles as per the picture.

20150502_203257.jpg

The bit I'm struggling with is that I'm using this to join the white piece to the red piece so is this the first row I should knit? My yarn thread is on the right hand side.

Pattern doesn't indicate which is the first row to be worked. Only instruction is to work on RS (which I'm fine with - knit side) then round 1 is K12, sl1, K1, psso, k4, k2tog

This is my first time knitting & I'm really enjoying it. Any help is much appreciated!
October Wins: Skin care cream exclusive to Harrods, £50 Amazon voucher, bottle of Bacardi Oakheart.

Comments

• glynisrose
    glynisrose Posts: 199 Forumite
    Personally I use needles that are connected to form a proper circle and I've only ever used them for knitting socks and doing the yoke of jumpers, sorry not much help!!
  • mumto2boys
    mumto2boys Posts: 7,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm just trying to learn this at the moment and I'm finding lots of useful youtube videos, you could try there maybe?
    StayHome * StaySafe * BeKind
  • mtbbuxton
    mtbbuxton Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It looks like there are 12 red stitches, so I suspect that is where you start your next row. Firstly can I check that you are using a 4th needle to knit onto? If not, you need to.
    In order to avoid a hole when joining the two pieces together, you need to pass your white yarn under the red yarn on your right hand needle before you start to knit with it. If you are to knit it all in red, then pass the white yarn over the red, before continuing with the red. When you get to the end of the white piece, you again need to twist your yarns to avoid having a hole and make a complete circle.
    I hope this makes sense, but have found a couple of Yootoob vids that hopefully show what I mean. Unfortunately I can't find one that shows joining pieces in the round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne3VPtELeCM

This video shows knitting with two colours on flat knitting, so you only need to follow the advice given for knitting on the right side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZwpgysm58

HTH,

M x
  • glynisrose
    glynisrose Posts: 199 Forumite
    Personally I used to use a loop of contrasting wool as a marker to start and finish rows,,,,,,,,,,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure