We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bassett Hound bald patch

Options
Went downstairs this morning to feed and water the hounds and while stroking the Bassett I noticed a large bald patch on the front of her neck/chest area. It's huge - about half the size of an A4 piece of paper :( I've been away for 4 days and got back late last night so just realised it now. Have checked for any evidence of mites but nothing, and she had her flea treatment last week (not on the bald patch area!). Never experienced this with her before and we have a vets appointment this afternoon to check it out. It doesn't appear red or inflamed or anything - any ideas?

Comments

• Johnny_Dangerously
    Options
    Could be a ton of things. Hair loss is a tricky one. We've had it before on our dogs caused by fungal infections which were invisible. The vet will probably take some skin scrapes to be analysed, maybe some blood. It is is something fungal, then it's usually easily treatable with medicated shampoo.

Sorry, not much other advice than to just see what the vet says.
  • charliewocka
    charliewocka Posts: 413 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Johnny Dangerously. Expected some scrapings to be taken. It's normally my other dog who gets skin issues so hoping it's not the Hound as well! Oh well, another visit to the vets - they can give her the cartrophen injection she is due at the same time I guess, so kill two birds with one stone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport