Tell us the story of how you got your current job?

Options
2»

Comments

• Creditcardkid
    Creditcardkid Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Went to do a days filing on the Friday, asked if I could come back on Monday. Three months later I was offered a permanent job. 17 1/2 years later I am working as a network architecture engineer for a telecoms company. All from an afternoon of filing as a temp :)
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Bought van, got a customer, repeated quite a few times.

Had absolutely no plan whatsoever, but at the time nothing to lose either. It might be politely described as learning on the job, or less politely as having no ******** clue:o
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    1. 24 people to interview, so they decided to do a group interview.
    2. I turned up late. I did notify them I will be late. Everyone had completed their interview as part of it would be group and part of it single. I was very late. Managers face was like, "hmm ill do the interview but don't have your hopes up"
    3. Part of the interview involved each person phoning up a number and running through some client relations test/customer service.
    4. As I was late, they had to do this face to face.
    5. I was given the set amount of time to prep as all others, 25 minutes, for a face to face with another manager, who was essentially an angry customer due to the level of service provided etc etc and wanted out of his contract.
    6. My job was to systematically negotiate and retain his business.
    7. As part of the prep work I was provided a brief of the company and what to expect and information I need to gather as part of my call.
    8. There was a cleverly written section in that prep, easy to miss, but very important to take note of.
    9. Did the face to face with another manager, covered off all bases, managed to implement the clever, rather tricky question/answer/negotiate from that specific section in the prep.
    10, I could see the face of "hmm, I'm very impressed!!" at the fact that I kept the client onboard and also my customer service in general was awesome anyway!
    11. Same day job offer!
    12. I declined the next day.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was part of an agency when I started to work for a company where one of the managers from a previous job appeared, (he bore a grudge from a previous company with me where he was reprimanded as a result), with shock and horror I had come to terms that this guy was now one of my managers.

One evening I got a call from my agency to say he did not want me working for the company and my contract was terminated. A week went by and I had thought nothing more about it until I got a phone call from the company.

I was good at the job and was described as being "part of the woodwork in the company". Particularly that I got on well with all the directors. The phonecall was to ask me to come in for a chat.

At the time I was then temping for another company so explained I could only make it after work. I turned up in scruffy overalls after a hard days work only to find I was coming for an unexpected interview.

It turned out the directors were angry at the way I had my contract terminated, they found it underhand and nasty, so much so that the manager who called my agency was no longer working there, they offered me a job there and then, back into the roll I was doing. After only a few days I had signed a full time contract with them and started pretty much immediately, 5 Years later and there is still no more agency work or temping for me. :D
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I started as an agency worker and applied for my own job 3 months later. Been here for 18 months now and during that time have seen 2 restructures and another one is on its way!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    MD I worked previously for heard I had left my last job he called me and said "are you coming to work for me then?" I went in to sort out how much they would be offering etc and started 2 days later almost 5 years ago..
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport