The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Tell us the story of how you got your current job?

i had an interview on a Thursday last october for my current job , they were offered by the job at the end of the interview and i started the next day.

Comments

• Sorry not current but new Job :)

I attended a group interview, been selected, heard earlier then expected!!:) (did ask about the others which only saddened me, waaah I'll always remember the group spirit which helped get a job I'm so incredibly lucky) the entire building just calms me, ugh can't explain it

It's part time so allows me to find something else I'll also enjoy doing whilst giving it my all :):)

Good feeling about this one & GOODBYE loneliness! :D it was the one job in the end when the reason why wanted job, wasn't about the money - perhaps it 'shone' through?!

Had many an ex boss who always said you made a decision there & then about candidate, not so sure about starting next day but it is something I've done in the past, I've loads of stories :o you know when you get that feeling you really want the job x
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,500
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I applied and went to interview in jan. I have had interviews in same organisations for different roles.

Interview went really well and was relaxed and had a bit of a giggle too. I got a phone call a week later to say I got the job then two months of waiting to start and now I'm here and love it.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Agent called me about the job. Telephone interview set up for a few days time. Telephone interview fine but more "chat" than interview, at the end of the interview arranged the face to face interview.

Face to face interview went fine, seems I randomly picked up a buzz word that he liked a lot and after that it was plain sailing. Was told they had others to interview and would hear in a few days.

7pm the same day got a call from the agent advising the job had been offered at the top of the pay scale to start on Monday. 9pm get an email from the NY office of the current office saying my contract wouldnt be renewed after Friday. 9:05pm email agent accepting offer. 10:30pm, but not read until the next morning, current client's London office email saying the NY office didnt have authority to say I wouldnt be renewed and "please dont do anything as we have another job for you". Thursday afternoon current client finally say they'll renew for 3 months but probably needed for longer, to close down some countries offices. Declined.

The "NY doesnt have authority" bit annoyed me a little as the same guy in London had said my extension was purely based on if the NY office wanted to continue to have an EMEA representative on the programme or not and so he had given them the authority but still. Had been there too long and welcomed the change anyway.
  • elliew92
    elliew92 Posts: 45 Forumite
    I went for a job and didn't get it so they passed me onto someone else in the department.
    I had an informal interview and got it :)
    I turned down the other job i had accepted previously and i am glad i did!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I replied to a post on Linkedin, two days later received an invite to connect, exchanged a couple of emails had a skype chat, then met in London which turned into dinner, lots of boozing and I was offered the job at 3 am whilst lining up for a kebab.

So much better than the usual HR hoops you have to jump through.
  • I got my current job When my friend recommended me to an online marketing company that was searching for employees. Me and my other friend who was also applying for the same position had a skype interview with the boss and the managers and we both got the job!
  • I was working alongside some people in my 'old job', all from the same firm we had working for us; looked at their site, saw a job advertised I liked - applied.

Interview in London, gave a presentation, day later was offered a job but they wanted me to wait a few weeks before handing in my notice so it wouldn't affect current work too much.

4 years later, still at the same place. I now fend off recruitment people who find me on linkedin and want me to go contracting (Yes, i do feel a bit stupid not doing it)
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Started at my current job via agency, got took off the agency by the company been there 18 months now
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Saw a post on MSE from some bloke claiming he thought he'd found a genuine work from home job ,PAYE, legitimate and secure.

I thought it sounded interesting so followed his posts through applying, training and starting the job and decided to apply myself.

Seven years later we're both still there LOL
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • bamgbost
    bamgbost Posts: 469
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    applied through an agency. Did 1st stage interview. Did a 2nd stage - Skype interview. Got the job. Been here almost 12 months!!

But already looking for next opportunity! ;)
    365 Day 1p challenge - £371.49 / 667.95
    Emergency Fund   £1000 / £1000 ( will enlarge once debts are cleared)
    DFW - £TBC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport