Problem with sound on PC

edited 30 April 2015 at 6:42PM in Techie Stuff
8 replies 692 views
Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
2.9K Posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 30 April 2015 at 6:42PM in Techie Stuff
I know I am doing something silly, but I can't work out what.

I have an HP tower computer with monitor. It was all working perfectly until I moved house recently.

I have set the machine up in my new place, and it works OK except for the sound.

I have a subwoofer with 2 small Dell speakers that I had from my last computer.

Yesterday, I unpacked the speakers and subwoofer. The speakers have 3 cables. Two connect via an orange-colooured connecter that screws in to the back of the subwoofer. The other cable has a green jack plug on the end, and I plugged this into the green socket on the back of the HP tower.

Finally, I plugged in the subwoofer to the electric socket.

The light has come on the speaker, so I know it has power. However, I can't get any sound. I have tried turning the volume up on both the subwoofer and the speakers.

What am I forgetting to do to get the sound to work?

Very confused!

EDIT: I'm running Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

Replies

• Try the black socket on the tower, green is usually for line out.
  • Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I have looked on the tower, and there are three sockets.

blue - in
    green - out
    pink - mic

There is no black socket.
  • GunJackGunJack Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    you need to reset the default sound device...with the speakers plugged in to the green jack socket...

Control Panel > Sound and check the speakers are set to default device, and within there you can also troubleshoot :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Check sound isn't muted, by default Win7 mutes the sound outputs if it is started without any speakers connected, it stays this way until you unmute.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    2.9K Posts
    Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    you need to reset the default sound device...with the speakers plugged in to the green jack socket...

Control Panel > Sound and check the speakers are set to default device, and within there you can also troubleshoot :)

Speakers are plugged in to green jack socket.

control panel > sound > speakers have a little green circle with a tick, and it says 'default device'.

Still no sound, however.
    2.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Check sound isn't muted, by default Win7 mutes the sound outputs if it is started without any speakers connected, it stays this way until you unmute.

Checked. Sound is half way between muted and very loud.
    Still no sound!
  • grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Do speakers have power? Where's the light? Do the small speakers get power from subwoofer? Best to check speakers out with a different sound source.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    2.9K Posts
    Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »

All is well now. I fiddled around in here, and found a button called 'test'. I clicked it, and heard a very, very faint sound. Turned up the volume wheel on the speaker, and it works.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I did say in my OP that it would turn out to be something very silly I was doing wrong. The volume wheel must have somehow got turned down during the move.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals