IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

SUCCESS vs PE via a retailer!

Hi all,

I had an appeal to PE turned down so thought I would try the retailer angle as trying to pen a letter to POPLA was hurting my brain. I thought it was a long shot as my mitigating circumstances (helping an elderly lady who was taken ill in a supermarket) happened in a shop not associated with the car park in question. Well - I spoke to one of the shops and explained, they took my details and said they would have a go for me....phoned me 15 minutes later to tell me it was all sorted!

Thought I'd share it so that others with a valid reason for overstaying think to speak to the retailer :)
Such a relief!
Thanks for all who helped along the way,
Sue.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well done - to a point.

You need to get written confirmation of the cancellation from PE. There have been occasions where the message from the retailer to a PPC has either not been transmitted, not got through, or has simply been ignored.

Until that written confirmation is received I'd be continuing to work on a POPLA appeal. When does your POPLA deadline expire?

Also it would be really handy to get written confirmation from the retailer. Why not email the person you spoke with, thank them for their intervention and ask, by a quick reply to your email, that they have instructed PE to cancel?

None of this telephone stuff is likely to stand up as any form of evidence if PE continue to pursue this.

Sorry for the 'cold water', but you do need to keep your eye very definitely on this ball.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • soomagoo
    soomagoo Posts: 31 Forumite
    All very valid, thank you - the POPLA appeal date is in a couple of weeks so I still have time and will continue working on it. Will email as you suggested but as it's a butchers I may not be able to find an email address!

Thanks,
    Sue.
  • Umkomaas
    but as it's a butchers I may not be able to find an email address!

A bit more worrying to me. Is this a large, national butchery chain or just a local ruddy-faced man and his boy? Cos PE don't normally contract with small shops.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• soomagoo
    soomagoo Posts: 31 Forumite
    It's a local butcher that is one of many shops in the precinct that the car park is contracted to, I believe.
  • Umkomaas
    soomagoo wrote: »
    It's a local butcher that is one of many shops in the precinct that the car park is contracted to, I believe.

Hopefully this will turn out ok for you, but don't sleepwalk into future problems by downing tools on your POPLA appeal.

PE take around a week to send out cancellations.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport