Life Insurance for FTB

Options
Please I need some advice regarding life insurance. I am a FTB and my MA has suggested I take out a life insurance. Is this a common/necessary requirement when taking out a mortgage? Thank you in advance

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you die, what will happen?
    There will be a pretty large loan that needs paying, can your partner or whoever afford it without you? Likewise can you afford it without your partner?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • audigex
    audigex Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a requirement. It can be a very good idea, though, depending on your situation.

If you're single, have no dependants etc, don't worry about it - if you die, your home is sold, the mortgage paid off and your family/beneficiaries are given the rest.

You could still choose to, which would mean your whole house is left to your beneficiaries when you die (the insurance pays off the mortgage) but it would cost you money each month. Unless you have children and/or a partner who you want to keep the house in the (hopefully exceptionally unlikely) event of your death, though, do you really care?

If you have children, or you want your partner to keep the house if you die, then yes, you probably need it to ensure they keep their home if you die: otherwise the house will be repossessed and your family are left to defend for themselves.

Most people take it out when they have their first child, or if their partner can't afford to keep their home without them.

Either way, you may want some kind of income protection insurance. Home insurance is usually mandatory with a mortgage.
    "You did not pull yourself up by your bootstraps. You were lucky enough to come of age at a time when housing was cheap, welfare was generous, and inflation was high enough to wipe out any debts you acquired. I’m pleased for you, but please stop being so unbearably smug about it."
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this a common/necessary requirement when taking out a mortgage?

Is it necessary? no
    Is it commonplace? yes - most people have life assurance to cover the debt as their spouse/partner getting evicted because they died is not how many people want to be remembered.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it compulsory - no
    Is it necessary - yes - for anyone with financial dependents
    Is it commonplace - yes - for sensible people
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, i prefer your way of putting it amnblog
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Vok_2
    Vok_2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    thank you all very much for your comments.
  • audigex
    audigex Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    Again, though, if you have no dependents at all, there's really very little need for it.

If I died right now everyone I know would (I hope) be quite sad, but they'd all have a home, food etc. My money would go to family members named in my will, my house (when I complete, anyway) would be sold and the equity shared out as above.

I have absolutely no need for life insurance, as there is nobody who actually loses out if I die. I could pay a monthly amount to ensure they get my entire house if I die, rather than the 30% of it I own, but my risk is fairly low (healthy 25 year old) and that money can go to better uses right now.

With no dependents you may want it, but you don't need it.
    "You did not pull yourself up by your bootstraps. You were lucky enough to come of age at a time when housing was cheap, welfare was generous, and inflation was high enough to wipe out any debts you acquired. I’m pleased for you, but please stop being so unbearably smug about it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure