Virgin Fibre speeds?

Options
Just reading a thread below, I'm making a new thread for my question as not to hijack...

I'm on Virgin's 152Mb fibre. Doing the Ookla speed test I get 90.22Mbps down, 12.21 up. However, in actual practice, my connection peaks or max's out at around 10Mb downloading. Is that normal?

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Are you by any chance confusing Mb/s and MB/s?

Broadband speeds are quoted in Mbps - megabits per second and you could be looking at 10 megabytes per second which is 80Mbps because 1byte = 8bits.

If you are testing wireless you will probably get faster wired. Speed test sites are possibly better able to cope with high speeds that some more general site. Torrents download speed depends a lot on how well seeded. Many ISPs throttle P2P too so what you are actually downloading and how can have a big impact on the speed.
  • abibee
    abibee Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that, so my 10Mb download is actually about 80Mbps. That would account for it wouldn't it. So I am getting what I'm paying for. The units can be confusing.

I'm glad I asked, like they say, he who asks a question is a pain in the !!! for 5 minutes...
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    There's no guarantee you made a mistake just a possibilty. A capital B is bytes while a small b is bits - check whatever you were using stated the speed as and look carefully at the units.
  • abibee
    abibee Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 30 April 2015 at 9:40PM
    Options
    You were correct, I get about 10M'B' download speeds, and the download speed test site measured 90M'b'. So that works out.
  • IvorBiggun
    Options
    Google FTTC vectoring. Should give you a small bump in speed if BT ever get round to rolling it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure