Log cabin with 1 metre boundary

Options
Hi all,

I'm planning to have a log cabin 8.5 x 3.5 along my boundary wall which will run adjacent to my neighbours concrete outhouse.i already have planning approved but as its within a metre of the boundary and made of combustible materials I will need building regs. My question is has anybody been in a similar situation and if so what did they have to do to the outbuilding to pass building regs ?.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Many thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    The pragmatic answer is not to build in timber. Think of garages and extensions everywhere and they would have brick or block walls.

If you are determined to go down the log cabin route this would have to be fireproofed which brings cladding to my mind. Or perhaps fire retardant coating of the timber. However, this would have to be to an approved detail and not made up ad hoc or you could end up with problems. Hence you should go back to the log cabin company. If they cannot meet this brief, or any other idea , then you would be better having a re-think.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simplest thing to do would be to ask the local council planning / building regs dept for advice on what is / isn't acceptable.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    muckybutt wrote: »
    Simplest thing to do would be to ask the local council planning / building regs dept for advice on what is / isn't acceptable.

But be careful. No fee has been paid and the Department are not a free source of advice. Neither are they designers, nor do they want to be. Their insurers would not allow this.

If it was good practice building log cabins along boundary walls everybody would have been doing this for years.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    Options
    I say that because we thought about building a log cabin on our land at the back of our house, we asked the council and conservation officers to do a site visit to see if it was plausible.
    The council were only too happy to come out free of charge to offer their advice. In the end thought we went for a timber frame extension.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have this one in my garden http://www.deesidelogcabins.co.uk/prods/lillevilla-100.html

I didn't need planning although it's not near any boundary walls. The planning officer did come out, but only because a neighbour was worried that the window on the gable end overlooked her garden. It does, but as no-one will ever be spending more than a night there and i installed blinds, ir wasn't a problem and he went away happy !
  • starsky27
    starsky27 Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Apologies for the late replying and thanks for the replies.

We have decided to use a independent building control inspector instead of the council one. I will get back on what their thoughts are on our proposal.
    I'm afraid a brick built outhouse would be out of our price range.

Many thanks,
    Mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family