iPhone Issue with a repair Centre, help!

Good afternoon,

I write this in great anger with a situation that has unfolded over the weekend, this is my first post so please forgive me if this is in the wrong area or incorrectly written etc.

I have an iPhone 5s which has broken (Hardware problem, 'Blue screen of death'). It is out of Apple 12 month warranty, and my providers EE will not repair for free. I have a 24 month contract that i'd like to get out of, and to do so I need to make a consumer law claim for the defects on the iPhone. the iPhone has a hardware problem and Apple stated it cannot be fixed. If it was still in warranty they would just replace it, as it isn't they wanted £220 for a new handset (which I refused).

I spoke to EE regarding making a consumer law claim, they advised me I needed to find an independent apple approved repairer to perform a diagnostic report detailing what is wrong with it, and then send it to them. My remaining contract is about £400 which I would have to pay if I did not get this.

I booked a weekend in Edinburgh for 24-26th April, and about a week prior I did some google searches on companies in Edinburgh that performed the iPhone diagnostic service. I landed on Simply fix it Edinburgh (I would provide link but as a new user, i'm not allowed)

I emailed them asking if they performed the service requested, and they responded with the following:

"Dear Jordan

We have a fix price diagnostic and labour fee for iPhones which is £49. This will include us opening up the device, checking for faults and providing a detailed report for you to use for warranty purposes"

Great, I thought! Exactly what I wanted. I went to the Shop on 25th April, explained my situation to the lady in store and confirmed I wanted the diagnostic report to submit to EE. Everything was fine, I paid my £49 and received a receipt etc. I was advised it may take a few days but they would be in contact with me on Sunday 26th April.

I spoke to them on Sunday and they advised me the report would be ready Monday 27th April. As I left Edinburgh on Sunday, they agreed to send me the phone in the post as it was still in bits as the individual who took it apart was not in on the Sunday, and as such nobody was there to put it back together. I reluctantly agreed and thought nothing more of it.

I got a call on monday from the company who asked me what I wanted on the report? Did I want the cost of repairs or that it was uneconomical to repair and best to replace? This was a bit strange, but I said the latter.

I then received what the lady described as the report:

"Dear Jordan,

Please find attached the insurance letter you requested

Kind Regards
Anna"

All they have sent me is a letter, on SimplyFixIt's letterheaded paper, stating the following:

"To whom it may concern,

Upon investigation of the above iPhone, we found the following parts to be at fault:

- Main logic board

The client has paid the diagnostic and labour fee which is £49.00. It is usual in this event that the logic board replacement renders this as an uneconomic repair"

That's it!! I questioned where the actual report is, and the lady responded with the following email:

"Hi Jordan

This is the only type of lertter that we produce after an investigation. I am happy to amend rhe letter to include a description that there were no visible signs of physical damage, but I am unable to add any conclusion

Thank you
Anna"

So this is where I am. £49 lighter, no report (despite this is what was agreed) and no iPhone! iPhone has still not been sent to me. This email was received last night and I was furious, with an intention to go back to Edinburgh (I live in Lancashire, England) and go into shop, demand my £49 back and my iPhone.

Any ideas as to where I stand with this matter? I have clearly been misled as to the services provided, but at all times I asked for a diagnostic report, which was what was agreed in store. It seems that once they had my money and phone, they did what they liked and I paid £49 for a letter which took possibly 1 minute to compose!

Any help would be great, thanks :(

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Diagnosed Main Logic Board as the fault .
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 April 2015 at 2:37PM
    What you actually need is a report that confirms that the problem with the phone is due to an inherent fault.

A report that simply states what the problem is, is of no use to you.

From what you have written, it does not appear that you have explained to them exactly why you needed the report.
  • Jordan1788 wrote: »
    We have a fix price diagnostic and labour fee for iPhones which is £49. This will include us opening up the device, checking for faults and providing a detailed report for you to use for warranty purposes"

Great, I thought! Exactly what I wanted.

That was where you went wrong.
    It wasn't a report that was suitable for warranty purposes that you needed, you needed one that was suitable for a Sale of goods act claim.
    A SOGA report not only needs to state what was wrong with the phone but it must also state what the person writing the report thinks was the cause of the fault and for there to be any liability on the retailer, the reason must state that the fault was due to a manufacturing defect. (an inherent fault).
    Basically this means that there was a defect when the phone was sold but the problem has only just come to light and it could be due to such things as bad assembly, poor quality components or unsuitable components.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd actually argue they haven't supplied what was agreed. They offered a detailed report.....would anyone agree the "report" the OP received was detailed?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • The above post I have tried to quote, but failed miserably as my phone is useless, is the main crux of my post. I've basically received a letter, not a report

I am aware it may not be the correct report, but I have searched for about a month for somebody to do a diagnostic report on this phone, without success. This 'report' what I believed I would receive would hopefully go some way to show that the defects were possibly there from the beginning, however I haven't received anything like that. A useless letter which this company seems to think is a report? That's why I'm disappointed and annoyed

I have called them today, but have been met with "the person dealing with it isn't in store today, call back tomorrow"
  • I did explain exactly what I needed to them in store when I went in. I naively thought they understood this
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If they expand on the report it's still not going to help you. A two thousand word essay on what's wrong with the phone won't help unless they say whether the fault is inherent or not.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Jordan1788 wrote: »
    I have a 24 month contract that i'd like to get out of, and to do so I need to make a consumer law claim for the defects on the iPhone.

My remaining contract is about £400 which I would have to pay if I did not get this.

Why do you think that just because your iPhone is dead, EE would let you out of the contract for airtime ? This is an incorrect assumption on your behalf.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure