Need advice finance still on car

Options
Hello just after a little advice.

I've got my polo twist 1.4 and with my ever extending family I'm looking to buy a bigger car.
I've already paid a fair sum off the finance company and I've left to pay about £800.

My question is would I still be able to purchase a second hand car and trade my polo is even though it has outstanding finance?
Or is it just best to keep it until I've paid the rest of the money off and try the process again?

HELP

Comments

• colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There will be no problem in trading in a car on finance, especially if you are trading up and taking out more finance. Proper traders do it every day and will manage the process for you.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you've only got £800 left to pay on it though, it's potentially worthwhile to clear the finance yourself and then sell it privately.
  • wiltsguy_2
    wiltsguy_2 Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    you don't say what year your Polo Twist is, trying to ascertain the value. If it's worth more than £800 then you have positive equity in your car, therefore the dealer will clear your finance from your polo, and putting a deposit towards financing your next car.
    Plan: [STRIKE]Finish off paying the remainder of my debts[/STRIKE].
    [STRIKE]Save up for that rainy day[/STRIKE].
    Start enjoying a stress debt free life..:beer:...now enjoying. thanks to all on MSE
  • Pickersgill-Jones
    Options
    Oh sorry it's 04 plate.
    I've been quoted £1317 for if I sell my car to wewantyourcar.com

How would it work if I sold my car and got this money just pay the finance off straight up and then go and try get more finance on another car,
    So sorry I'm new to it all
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you did it that way you would be starting afresh and would be in a stronger position than accepting the TI value for your old car. Only downside is not having a car in between selling, settling the finance and negotiating your next one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure