Want to secure a bank loan for a new biz, but.....

Options
Hi all,
I have recently been made redundant and have spent the last few weeks deciding what to do next. I have previously owned a retail business but due to financial difficulties closed the shop and filed for bankruptcy some 8 years ago.
I really don't want to go back to an office based role and want to open another retail business.
However, I do not have any assets, or guarantor and having been made bankrupt would like to know the likelihood of me securing a business loan?
And who would be the best lender to approach?
I do not have friends/family that would be in the position to help either.
Many thanks.

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    I'd suggest you represent a significant lending risk, seen through a lenders eyes, so I'd imagine the chances are somewhat slim.

What line of business are you looking to open? People might be able to suggest lower-cost ways to get started.
  • blimeyoriely_2
    blimeyoriely_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2015 at 12:03PM
    Options
    A small women's clothing shop. I live in an affluent village that is rapidly developing with new businesses and franchises moving in. It'll be an excellent opportunity.

I recognise I'm not the best candidate for a business loan, but with a strong business plan and a good business model I wonder whether lenders make exceptions.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Not just about your previous circumstances, but all startups find borrowing difficult. Womens clothes shops are somewhat high risk - large ranges, high startup cost, multiple sizes to stock, online shoppers using you as a free measuring/fitting service. I think your best bet, if you're convinced it's a great opportunity, is to get a sleeping partner - if the village has a lot of affluent potential customers and is booming, perhaps one of them would become a backer/partner? I can't imagine the banks will be interested TBH.
  • blimeyoriely_2
    Options
    Thank you paddyrg
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Paddy's advice was what I was about to write.

It's sometimes a case of getting a potential customer or two to invest, and this seems to be one of those cases.
    💙💛 💔
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Blimey
    I have a retail business too. My first thought was do any pop ups run in your area?
    Like pop up shops you could take on for a short while? That way you could check out the customer base before putting too much on the line.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport