Paisley/Renfrew Houses to buy

Be_Happy
Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Hi

Young relatives are hoping to leave rented flat and climb on property ladder, looking for traditional style groundfloor flat (sandstone, bay windows) with 2 bedrooms in Paisley/Renfrew area. Property must be in good area and in good condition, with fair sized rooms.

They're not having much luck so far. Thought they had found perfect place, but asking price of 'offers over £115,000' turned out to be 'expected price' of £140,000, so out of their budget.

I can't offer them much advice on area as I live a long way off, but would appreciate any info I could pass on to them re good areas with such property, helpful estate agents, in fact - anything which would be of use to them.

Can anyone contribute info? Thanks.

Comments

• purrrcat
    purrrcat Posts: 190 Forumite
    I live in Renfrewshire myself and house prices ar a bit mad here - have been for a while unfortunately.

Best for online is GSPC, rightmove or patch. I have always found Walker Laird in Renfrew to be quite helpful at notifying of any new properties coming on the market in Renfrew and Countrywide are good for Paisley flats.

If you need a bit of advice re a particular area, feel free to message me and I will try and help all I can.

B :)
  • Be_Happy
    Thanks for helpful reply.

With so many estate agents around, it's good to get recommendations.

I've passed on the info to relatives.

Thanks again.
  • Could try east renfrewshire where the house prices are better than renfrewshire, areas such as Barrhead and Neilston
  • Emms
    Emms Posts: 956 Forumite
    I find rightmove.co.uk good for searching properties too. Theres a few flats on there just now that might be of interest to them. What exactly is their budget? Offers over £115k would generally be expected to sell for between £126-130k. Expecting £140k is a bit much me finks but anyways.

Are they dead set on a sandstone building as theres some newer build flats and houses on for their kinda price.

Used to live in Paisley so know it quite well so if you need any help feel free to give me a shout.

Emma :)
  • Be_Happy
    Hi Emma

Can't say too much, because I don't want to invade their privacy, but they are really set on having old style, cornice, etc, but in good condition. They did think the expected price of £140K was over the top (especially as it was ' over £140K') but this must be the way the market is just now.

Area is important and they seem to have definately excluded some parts. I can see them continuing to rent for the forseeable future until the right thing comes along.

Thanks.
  • greytroot
    greytroot Posts: 619 Forumite
    Hi, on tuesday 14 august 2007 there is an auction at wilson's in dalry there might be the odd flat in there that could do the job. Their website addy is https://www.wilsonsauctions.com
    You cant take the trousers off an elephant!
  • Be_Happy
    Thanks greytroot. I don't know if they have considered buying at auction, but this site looks really interesting and I've forwarded the info to them.

Thanks for help.
  • Bamber19
    Bamber19 Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Dependant on budget and availability could look at Elderslie, It's a nice area with good access to rail links and about a 5-10 minute drive from Paisley. Houses are quite sought after so competition can be high but it's worth a look.
    Bought, not Brought
  • mrsmcdade
    mrsmcdade Posts: 58 Forumite
    We live near the southern general hospital, about 10 minutes on the bus from renfrew and paisley and bought our 3 bed flat for £56,000 two years ago. It took us nearly 3 years to find somewhere we really liked which we could afford, tell them they just have to keep right on top of new properties appearing and put in a cheeky offer if they like somewhere, "If we give you £x would you be willing to take the property off the market"? saves a lot of heartache if its accepted!
  • mikki2d
    mikki2d Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Renfrew is exorbitantly expensive now. Buying ex-council is the best bet for houses in this area just now but they won't get exactly what they are looking for. Paisley is a bit more of a hit and a miss as far as areas are concerned as most nice areas are immediately adjacent to somewhere awful.
    Johnstone town centre is worth a look. There are some traditional tenements there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure