Forum Home» Motoring

DVLA Vehicle Check Showing Car Untaxed

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

DVLA Vehicle Check Showing Car Untaxed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
10 replies 27.4K views
adzy77adzy77 Forumite
101 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hi,

I got a car at the weekend from a good garage (one of the best ive dealt with in fact) and they sorted out the tax for me and showed me the receipt.

I have just checked the reg on the DVLA vehicle checker and it still hasnt updated and is showing as untaxed.

1. I cant believe that something like that does not get updated instantly these days! It does say at the bottom that if you have taxed in the past 5 days it might not be up to date, unbelievable.

2. Can I still get done for being 'untaxed'? Let say I drive home later and the police check me, do they check the same database or will they access one that is updated instantly?

I understand that it is only the DVLA who can actually fine you so if it did get to that stage then obviously they would be able to check that its fine but I just don't want any unnecessary problems during the time it takes to update.

Replies

  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K posts
    Just as well the BiB don't use the DVLA website.

    AFAIK the Police don't check for VED, that job belongs to the DVLA and is a fully automated system.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Foxy-Stoat_3Foxy-Stoat_3 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    3K posts
    adzy77 wrote: »
    and they sorted out the tax for me and showed me the receipt.

    They used the correct number from the Green New Keepers slip then I won't worry. You kept the receipt for the tac didnt you, so if you do get stopped then show the police the receipt.

    If they didnt use the new keeper number then I would go back to them chop chop.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • IceweaselIceweasel Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    How exactly did they 'sort out the tax' for you?

    I wasn't aware that a dealer could still do that.

    VED is the buyer's responsibility.

    I'd have been looking for a few £ off rather than let someone do it for me.
  • marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others are saying, if the garage used the wrong code from the V5, the tax they bought will refund back when the change of keeper hits.
  • edited 27 April 2015 at 6:04PM
    Rover_DriverRover_Driver Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2015 at 6:04PM
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Just as well the BiB don't use the DVLA website.

    AFAIK the Police don't check for VED, that job belongs to the DVLA and is a fully automated system.


    They can check for a licence, but the only action they take is to report any infringement to the DVLA, who take any necessary action.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • s_bs_b Forumite
    4.5K posts
    I wont tax cars for customers after the last fiasco when dvla insisted post office visit had resulted in me using left hand side of log book rather than new keeper supplement even though post office had stamped the new keeper bit and it was the only bit handed over


    To OP and anyone else it takes days for dvla data to be updated online,i suggest all new keepers keep both tax receipt and insurance receipt about their person for at least a week after the sale completed just in case they get pulled over by an official body
  • harveybobblesharveybobbles Forumite
    9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    adzy77 wrote: »
    Hi,

    I got a car at the weekend from a good garage (one of the best ive dealt with in fact) and they sorted out the tax for me and showed me the receipt.

    I have just checked the reg on the DVLA vehicle checker and it still hasnt updated and is showing as untaxed.

    1. I cant believe that something like that does not get updated instantly these days! It does say at the bottom that if you have taxed in the past 5 days it might not be up to date, unbelievable.

    2. Can I still get done for being 'untaxed'? Let say I drive home later and the police check me, do they check the same database or will they access one that is updated instantly?

    I understand that it is only the DVLA who can actually fine you so if it did get to that stage then obviously they would be able to check that its fine but I just don't want any unnecessary problems during the time it takes to update.

    You answered your own question in point 1..
  • xHannahxxHannahx Forumite
    614 posts
    Took 5 days for ours to update on the the website to show taxed if that's any help
  • adzy77adzy77 Forumite
    101 posts
    Thanks all, site updated today so no issues.

    @harveybobbles, that wasn't my question. My concern was what could potentially happen in between the records updating.

    @iceweasel, they did it at the post office
  • IceweaselIceweasel Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    adzy77 wrote: »
    Thanks all, site updated today so no issues.

    @harveybobbles, that wasn't my question. My concern was what could potentially happen in between the records updating.

    @iceweasel, they did it at the post office

    Ah - that explains it - I was thinking that perhaps they did it on-line.

    Anyone could walk into the Post Office with the V5C and do it on your behalf.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support