Mirror Window Film

Options
I live in a ground floor flat rented from housing association. I have blinds and curtains on all windows. As a result privacy is an issue. In order to stop people seeing in I have to have blinds closed during the day. However, this means I also cannot see out. As a result I am looking at alternatives. I have tried frosted window film, however this does not allow me to see out and depending on the type allows some people to see into varying extents. I am therefore considering mirror window film. I wondered if anyone had used it and how effective it is.
Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good old-fashioned net curtains?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Good old-fashioned net curtains?

+1

We have cheap voile panels and tension rods to hold them up, probably cost us less than £15 overall. You can't see into our living room at all, but we can see everything going on outside.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    I live in a ground floor flat rented from housing association. I have blinds and curtains on all windows. As a result privacy is an issue. In order to stop people seeing in I have to have blinds closed during the day. However, this means I also cannot see out. As a result I am looking at alternatives. I have tried frosted window film, however this does not allow me to see out and depending on the type allows some people to see into varying extents. I am therefore considering mirror window film. I wondered if anyone had used it and how effective it is.

We have privacy film on one of our barns. It's a holiday cottage and is directly overlooked by another cottage.

The window company who fitted the windows came and applied it after installation. There are varying degrees of privacy and we opted for one which stops people being able to see in but doesn't give a mirror reflection. It's more a tint. It also gives sun protection to the room.

I would google it, as it's very easy to apply. Our fitter used a spray and a soapy liquid then applied the film which didn't bubble. It was then cut to fit with a sharp knife.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get window films like that from Halfords from full mirror to light smoke.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    You can find the film on ebay with varying degrees of mirror (the more mirrored, the lower the transmittance, the darker it makes he room). Maybe see if they'll do sample packs so you can see which you want?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure