fill in vents above doors or leave?

Options
I have replaced my warm air heating with a combi and radiators and was wondering whether to fill in the vents above the bedroom and lounge doors or not.

Will the house benefit from this ventilation or will it be detrimental?
over 73 but not over the hill.

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't know, we never shut the doors so it wouldn't matter.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »
    I have replaced my warm air heating with a combi and radiators and was wondering whether to fill in the vents above the bedroom and lounge doors or not.

Will the house benefit from this ventilation or will it be detrimental?

I dont think they provide ventilation as such , they were simply a way of directing the warm air into the rooms

I`d block them up and plaster over if the look is objectionable
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • TanDiy
    TanDiy Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, my neightbour was also advised that they are not required for ventilation and that they could be filled in if required. I don't want to take your thread off topic but could i just ask quickly how you find the change to the combi and radiators as we are also considering removing the warm air. Many thanks
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    edited 28 April 2015 at 1:36PM
    Options
    could i just ask quickly how you find the change to the combi and radiators as we are also considering removing the warm air.
    It takes twice as long before hot water comes from the tap.
    Turning on another hot tap reduces the flow of hot water from both taps.

All caused because of the removal of the HWC, only downside.

Lot quieter, in fact no noise, when heating first turned on when low temperature as no fan running at full blast.

Elimination of draughts because of the "massive ventilation" that was required so kitchen does not cool down so quick during the night when the heating is off.

There could be as much as a difference of 5 deg C between the kitchen and lounge in the morning if the heating was off all night and the kitchen door was closed.

When the hot air heating turned off because it had reached it's temperature there used to be a slight cold draught through a vent because it went straight through to the kitchen, where the ventilation for the warm air unit was, from the lounge.

The vent was a T between the kitchen and lounge.

This happened to be right next to where my wife sat. I never felt it.

If I had known years ago what I know now that hot air heating would have been gone years ago.

The biggest advantage, using at least 30% less gas as no pilot lights.

Also because I no longer have a power shower, which had a noisy pump, I now have a Mira Excel shower, which is silent except for the sound of the water running through it.

The gain in space in the kitchen with the hot air unit removal, the new combi is in the old airing cupboard and is half the size of the HWC so have gained more airing cupboard space
    The only con is, as I said the hot water but you adapt.

Good job I am not on a water meter.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    The pragmatic answer on whether to fill in the vents depends on how well insulated and draft proofed your home is. To give an insight into this, the Building Regulations have required internal doors to be undercut by 10mm to allow ventilation through a house. Your vents are serving a similar purpose to this.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    the Building Regulations have required internal doors to be undercut by 10mm to allow ventilation through a house

Then all the energy saving sites etc. recommend putting something in front of it to prevent draughts.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought a bungalow once that had originally had warm air heating but had been converted to a wet system, the vents were about two feet above the floor in all the rooms and looked b. awful.

I ripped them all out filled the holes with breeze block and plastered over them finally wallpapering the walls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure