Windows reboot

Options
I had one of these worrying items on my computer that I couldn't get rid of, having googlee information about the site, not a virus apparently, but annoying in putting stuff on the screen like having checked my computer there were about 23 faults that needed fixing.

Google knew about the site, as I say not a virus but not dissimilar, the recommendation that was coming up was to download a fix from Windows that could take my computer back to factory settings. It seemed like a good idea, so I did that, now all I have is a blue bar across my computer with a clock spinning and saying please wait, preparing, it says at the bottom of the screen that 4 new applications have been installed, and the only button that I am fearful of clicking on says cancel.

Does anybody know how long this should take, because I've been waiting since 9.00 am yesterday morning.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You mention 'downloading a fix'.

Can you please tell us more about this fix?
    Where did you download it from?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What operating system?
    A Factory Restore wipes all your data and post-market programs, so you did back up before you started the process?
    However, you don't 'download a fix from Windows' to do a factory restore, so you are probably installing malware from some sort of scam site.
    So I'd shut it down and reboot.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Factory restore would not take an hour .
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    I hope you're still not staring at a blank screen.

What specs, operating system, make etc?
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • bristleposh
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses, I was very foolish but fortunately thanks to your guidance above and my anti virus I got away with it. I have now managed to get rid of the initial baddy, I think it was called reimage or something not a million miles away from that.
  • Knarf44
    Knarf44 Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    Probably this software reported on by the Malware Tips site last year:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-reimage-repair/

The article includes full removal instructions. Basically, it's a PUP that is usually bundled with other software and is removed with a combination of Malwarebytes, ADW cleaner and Hitman Pro just to make sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure