edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
3 replies 1.2K views
wilf55wilf55 Forumite
3.1K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
Hi I'm in Esa support group and get dla
My partner is also on dla and unable to work. In my claim includes him

I would love to do some Open university modules and potentially a degree

How would everything affect my benefits. Due to illness and disability I think I could only manage part time study

What are the financial implications on my benefits and how do I fund the course itself.

Please help I'm feeling a little swamped with the information I have received.

Thanks in advance
Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000

Replies

• wilf55 wrote: »
    Hi I'm in Esa support group and get dla
    My partner is also on dla and unable to work. In my claim includes him

I would love to do some Open university modules and potentially a degree

How would everything affect my benefits. Due to illness and disability I think I could only manage part time study

What are the financial implications on my benefits and how do I fund the course itself.

Please help I'm feeling a little swamped with the information I have received.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I could never get ESA whilst I was ill and studying. Normally they'll assume if you're 'fit' enough to study part time you can work part time. But you may be lucky and they won't... you never know.

You can fund OU study yourself, or through their own payment plan, or through Student Finance. It's up to you.

I doubt you'll know about your benefits until you ask someone who deals with your application.
  • this should help: http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-students

i believe if you went for full time then your benefits would get reduced or entirely stopped if you dont have dla for yourself but part time seems possible.
    However, if you re eligible for a student loan that isnt for tuition fees then it would definitely effect them. however, i dont think they give you maintenance for ou degrees.
    This years income boosting
    Swagbucks since Feb 2015 £10
    Qmee mar 2015 £0.69
    Quidco £12.23
    Thrify student stretching my budget as far as it will go
  • I am on ESA and am studying an OU degree. Best to do is ring them and let them know. I am in the support group, and when I was in the WRAG it was fine too.

You fund them with a student loan if you can't afford to pay and as they don't give living cost loans for part time students it doesn't affect your finances. Like I say let them know though.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals