Replacing Single Lever Mixer Tap

Options
The single lever mixer tap in the kitchen needs replacing. We only need a very basic replacement as kitchen will be refitted later this year. Only complication seems to be that the isolation valve on the hot pipe will not fully shut. I have been quoted £250 to supply and fit the new mixer which was a lot more than I was expecting given that I can get the mixer for c.£30 in Screwfix. Am I missing something here ?

Comments

• jayyar66
    jayyar66 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds excessive, even allowing for a dodgy hot water isolation valve! I would expect any half decent plumber or competent DIY'er to take 1 - 2 hours to do that, maybe 3 at a push, if it's a real PITA.
    Have you specified you only want a cheap replacement tap?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jayyar is right. Its over priced. Should be £150 ish, even if he's VAT registered you should still only paying £180. You need to get other quotes.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Peter-W_2
    Peter-W_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you know what tap it is it might be a fair price. A decent Franke tap would be best part of £100 at least. And if he's not seen the installation he could be factoring in it could be a proper awkward job, some sink taps are a b***er to get to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure