Best/Cheapest way to get to John O Groats from London

As 2016 is my 50th year...... I am planning some bucket list trips

the first one is travel to John O Groats (there is also one for Lands End - but thats for later or not haha)

anyway I wondered whether

a) people had done this - travelling from London

b) cheapest/simplest/best route to take

c) I had also thought about including a walk up Ben Nevis, whilst in the region.

so what do people think?
smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    robnye wrote: »

the first one is travel to John O Groats (there is also one for Lands End - but thats for later or not haha)

c) I had also thought about including a walk up Ben Nevis, whilst in the region.

so what do people think?
    Excellent idea. Have you thought about cycling?
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Excellent idea. Have you thought about cycling?

:T haha yeh thought about cycling, but then thought again.... me knees wont take that much cycling lol
  • robnye wrote: »

so what do people think?

Youll probably be best taking a train from London to Inverness can even get a sleeper if required) Inverness to Wick is the next option by train takes 4 1/2hrs to travel what is 109mile drive by road, as train goes inland, so better getting Bus, citylink is the operator. Ben Nevis is nowhere near John o groats , best way to do that is on way back down go from Inverness to Fort William and you'll get to Ben Nevis from there easilly.

When at John O Groats it's worth going across to the Orkney Islands very nice place to visit and many things to see.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just found this excellent website

http://www.rome2rio.com/ - not sure of complete accuracy but it did highlight the route you mentioned
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    robnye wrote: »

so what do people think?

As others have said, Ben Nevis is near Fort William which is close on 200 miles from John O Groats, so you will need at least 2 holiday locations. I climbed Ben Nevis last year and whilst I'm 50plus, managed to get up and down in under 7 hours; well worth the effort.

Having spent many holidays in the north of Scotland, I would recommend a driving holiday either by renting a car once you get to Scotland or just driving all the way. London to Fort William is about 500 miles. Even in summer the roads are quiet, but the scenery is stunning, once you get north of Glasgow.
  • captainbeaker
    captainbeaker Posts: 306 Forumite
    If driving or having plenty of time to cycle you could try the North Coast 500

http://www.northcoast500.com/
  • Snozzle
    Snozzle Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I did exactly what you are suggesting a few years ago - though bought a Highland Rover ticket which gave me unlimited travel on train, bus, coach & ferry I think it was. It was the best money spent - could enjoy the scenery the whole way.

Started in Glasgow and took the West Highland line train to Fort William (for Ben Nevis) - scenery breath-taking. From memory then took a bus up to Inverness all the way along Loch Ness - stopped though to see a castle (worth it) and the Nessie museum before getting the next bus on. From Inverness worked my way up by train and bus to John O'Groats. The unlimited travel meant I had no worries about paying for each ticket and with no driving meant I could enjoy the views. Would jump at doing it again.

Enjoy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport